Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 03:12 PM

Default My Story of folding the 2nd nut for $40 in a $1,285 pot.

This is from about a year ago.

Game is loose, 10-handed, lots of gambling. I'm in the BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 Calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button Calls, SB folds, I call, UTG 3-bets, UTG +1 caps, everyone calls.

Pot= 32.5 SB going into the flop

Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG calls, UTG +1 calls, UTG+2 raises, called all the way around and UTG (a real gambler, 3-bets and UTG+2 caps and it is called all the way around)

Pot is 64.5SB going into the turn; 32.25 BB

Turn is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check and as legend would have it it was 3-bet back to me and, dammit, I'm cold calling. 2 people dropped out on this round and, yes, it got capped. All told, it was 6 people x 4 bets to get to see the river

So now, on the river, the pot is 56.25BB

The river is the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I like this card enough to bet, so I do. It gets called in 2 places, and then raised by MP1 and then reraised by MP2.

Of course, I don't like the way this is going, but I'm going to have to call this one. Then, all of the sudden the original raiser (MP1) jumps up out of his chair , flips his cards face up and yells, "Ship it to me, baby." I'm left with $40 in chips in my hand, I double-check my hand and I dutifully fold because I am staring at the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Everyone takes a moment to double-check his cards and theirs, and they fold one by one without an official showdown. The guy was so excited that he jumped the gun thinking the hand was over.

UTG had 23o
UTG+2 had 44
MP2 had 8s7s

The 44 said he was calling as well as the 87 (which would have had only 1 bet left to call). It would have cost myself and the 44 $60 more to call it, so the guy left $140 on the table.

I smiled because the guy is a great guy and it was one of the few times I was thrilled for an opponent. I also thanked him for the $60.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: My Story of folding the 2nd nut for $40 in a $1,285 pot.

Wow still haunting you eh?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 PM

I would think you could typically bet/raise this turn for value. God bless the guy who 3-bet pf with 32o.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think you could typically bet/raise this turn for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I correctly thought that at least one (possibly even both) of my draws could be bad. As it turned out, I was drawing to 3 outs for half the pot.

2) I was fairly certain that it wasn't going to matter if I raised. Noone gave any indication that they were going anywhere and I was 80% certain we were going to have a cap on the turn anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
God bless the guy who 3-bet pf with 32o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't believe this one myself. I need to work on finding some more games like this one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]