Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Friend of mine claims to go from $100 to 10k in a month.. possible?

I was having a discussion with my friend not long ago and he has said that he has a problem with bankroll management so this is what he wants to work on. I kind of feel that his methods for building a bankroll also lead to his downfall. He recently lost the rest of his bankroll from having 40k from tilting away at the 2k NL tables. I try to tell him about playing within his bankroll and being able to greatly decrease his risk of ruin.

Well anyway the topic came up of him being able to go from $100 to 10,000 in a month and I found this to be extermely unrealistic unless you just ran insanely good for an entire month. He claims that he's gone broke plenty of times before and its no big deal and that he just takes $100 and rebuilds a bankroll. All of this is foreign to me and it sounds pretty unrealistic starting with $100.

He said his plan is to play 25 sit and goes a day starting at $10, do this until he gets to $500... he said this would take 5 days. Now to make $400 in 5 days playing 25 sit and goes a day this would be a 32% ROI... which I presume is possible (sounds reasonable, i havent played SNGs in a while though).. but this is not accounting for variance. He then says he takes his $500 and plays $20 SnGs until he gets up to 1.5k-2k and then plays $30 sit and goes until 3k. Then he says around this time he will have 2 weeks left and can triple this 3k and get to 10k within 2 weeks easily. I always thought that if you are tripling your bankroll in that kinda time then you are clearly not playing within your stakes. He does not get rakeback either so the vig on these SnGs I think would add up too. Do you guys think what he's trying to do is realistic? Also.. I think taking this method of building your bankroll does not teach a person bankroll management which is needed to survive long term without going broke. Isn't this method of his very susceptible to a bad run that can break him? It sounded like it to me and I didn't see it as a reasonable method of getting to 10k. Maybe i'm wrong.