Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 07:08 PM

Default turn

villain is 40/9/1.35...haven't seen too much from him.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, hero does what and why?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: turn

Continuation bets because of three reasons:
a) holding overcards in case opponent has a 5 or 6,
b) your flush draw,
c) plus the folding equity of the second jack.

If c/r, i call and fold a donk when i miss a flush.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 PM

I bet, because we probably have an equity edge. I don't think villain will ever fold a better hand, but loose villain could peel that flop with any 2. If I felt a c/r was very likely from a huge LAG who likes to bluff scare cards, I would check and call river UI.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 PM

bet. Sometimes you have the best hand. Sometimes he folds. Sometimes you suck out.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:18 PM

I used to always bet this, thinking that if I get C/Red it's no big deal because I have outs anyways. Then I eventually how stupid it was for me to pay 2 BB to see a river instead of 0 bb's. You can bet against this opponent since he doesn't seem aggro enough to C/R you with a 5 or a 6 or even 78o, but I'd still check it. The second jack changes nothing and he's not folding a pair here ever.

I might also call the river UI depending on what it is.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:21 PM

This seems like a great time to continuation semi-bluff to me, bob? The turn card likely didn't help the Villain (since we saw no aggression on the flop). Without all of our outs, we've got a good amount of equity padding if we get called/raised. We may even fold a better hand if Villain gets scared by the jack.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Bob

This is a good hand...

I usually follow through on the turn here because so many times the BB is just taking one off on the flop and will fold when you bet the turn. Also, I don't want to bet the flop and then give up on the turn in a heads up situation too much.

However, you do have a draw, and you don't want to be checkraised here, so you have to consider that as well.

Finally, you need to have a plan for the river, if it blanks. If you check the turn, he probably won't fold A high. If you bet the turn and he calls, he probably calls the river bet as well, with whatever he has.

Considering all this, I think I bet the turn.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:42 PM

While I'll often take a 'free card' here, I think we're too often giving a free card in this spot. Sure, we'll get check-raised sometimes, and we'll regret paying 2BB to see the river, but it seems like there are hands that will call again while still drawing that we're actually ahead of.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't come up with a lot of hands that we're ahead of that would peel. Of course, hands like 87[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 98[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would peel, but they actually have more equity than us. Any paired hand also has more equity than us. I've convinced myself to take the free card. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to always bet this, thinking that if I get C/Red it's no big deal because I have outs anyways. Then I eventually how stupid it was for me to pay 2 BB to see a river instead of 0 bb's. You can bet against this opponent since he doesn't seem aggro enough to C/R you with a 5 or a 6 or even 78o, but I'd still check it. The second jack changes nothing and he's not folding a pair here ever.

I might also call the river UI depending on what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you generally check here against this type of opponent? I would think that the things that Peter said as reasons to bet outweigh the fear of getting c/red.

If you do get c/red and you are fairly confident that it's not a c/r bluff, then you can easily get away from the hand on the river UI.

I dunno, it seems to be better to err on the side of aggression here. But then again, I think I'm too aggressive sometimes.

edit: I should note that it is a good point not to autobet so much as your post implied.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 PM

Free card OR bet are equally ok i reckon(I've not done the maths so who knows).

Fold equity,
Numerous outs to improve,
Maybe ahead(value)
Vs
Calling 2bets because we have outs to call sucks.

I reckon i bet though.