Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Play a Foxwoods hand with me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I decided to check and see the action, with the intention of calling a bet. UTG bet 1k and folded to you. I decided to call and BB folded. Now heads up to the turn, pot is about 3.4k and UTG started the hand with about 10k.

Turn card is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now, what is the plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I checked again the turn, and he bet only 1k, so I decided to call the 1k with my pair and nut flush draw. Now the pot is about 5.4k.

The river card was 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I checked and he bet 3k, do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

By my math there's t5400 in the pot prior to his bet. When the 8 hits, I'm inclined to bet out. If he hasn't got a set, he's going to have a hard time raising, so I think you can lay down if he does. Put out t2000-2500 and see what he says.

The problem with calling here is that I have a hard time putting him on a hand that you beat - with the king out there I think there is a good chance you are looking at a split pot. This, of course, complicates the pot odds (t3000 to win either t8400 or t4400), and I think leans more towards a fold.

That said, given the board your hand is pretty good, and he may just be trying to muscle the pot.

I don't know. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I decided to check and see the action, with the intention of calling a bet. UTG bet 1k and folded to you. I decided to call and BB folded. Now heads up to the turn, pot is about 3.4k and UTG started the hand with about 10k.

Now, what is the plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

He isnt folding a better hand here. I dont hate free cards nearly as much anymore. I am check-calling (maybe fold to an extra-large bet)
Old 11-18-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now, what is the plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I checked again the turn, and he bet only 1k, so I decided to call the 1k with my pair and nut flush draw. Now the pot is about 5.4k.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% of the time, unless he gives off his 'accidentally showing AK' tell.

I love seeing the 8 here. Two hands I was worried about just got worse. Other than a T or a diamond, this is the best card in the deck for our hand
Old 11-18-2005, 02:26 PM

Well that sure does complicate things a bit. Now we chop against AQ and AJ (and the unlikely Ace holdings we were ahead of). It also makes it less likely that he has 88. I think KK is unlikely the way the hand was played (limping UTG and leading out on an Ace high board versus quite a few players). I think his most likely holdings are AQ-AJ, 99, A9s, AA. All we can really hope for is a split pot here. I think getting just over 2 to 1 odds makes this a very marginally correct call. I'm going back and forth on just leading out or checking and hoping to see a cheap showdown. The problem with checking is that if you had a big hand it's unlikely you'd check-call the entire hand - you'd raise somewhere. So obviously you have a weak Ace or a missed draw. By checking you can almost expect a bet, even if he only has AQ/AJ.

So I think I like betting the river. There's a chance, albeit not a big one, that you can get top pair to lay it down. At the very least you know that if you're raised you're behind and can fold. I'm thinking 1500-2000.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM

Hero folds.

The turn bet of 1K is strange because its unlikely for hero to fold. I think in general you are either behind a little or a lot. I think its unlikely that villain has a drawing hand and is setting up a bluff on the river given that hero has the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and villain has not made an attempt to drive hero out of the pot.

Given the original 50 hands I estimated (88,99,89,ak,aq,aj,a8,a9, aa) there are only 37 hands left after taking into account the turn/river (including hero's holdings).
I can see villain betting the entire range.
Hero only splits the pot with aq,aj (12 hands or ~1/3).
So hero needs 6:1 in the pot to call;
I'd call up to T1200 or so.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:07 PM

You dont think JT bets that flop ever? T7?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:20 PM

If by you mean villain can get here with a draw.
yes, but I think its more likely he has a hand.

because:
of the ~60 draws only 76 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] has a flush draw since hero has the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
It's dangerous to bet the draw without a flush, and the table appears pretty passive/tight.
Because of the not so great draw I interpret the turn bet as a psychological slowdown, or a pot building bet, rather than setting up a mugging on the river.
Villain's standard bet here is 1K, for him to get brave and bet 3K, I think the top of his range is more likely than the bottom.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hell no.

if i was gonna call that, ida beat him to it and bet it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly are you folding to here? I'd call expecting to chop or take the pot off a bluff. And I see no value in a bet even if I think I'm ahead: no hands worse than a chop call, and if he's bluffing he can either fold (costs you value) or raise you off the best hand (costs you a lot more). If the river were the 7s then I'd agree with you more.

A river check/call seems very necessary here.

Everett
Old 11-18-2005, 05:01 PM

Lead flop, Since you didnt do that fold, since you didnt do that, chk/call turn, once he bets such a weird amount raise him to ~4k, since you didnt do that... call turn... once you do that, probably call river... What has he done in the past that makes you think he plays weird? (specific example?)
Old 11-18-2005, 05:32 PM

Responding w/o reading other post

I bet out a respectable amount...probably 900-1000.

Why?
-I may be winning
-I want fewwer players to the turn to clean up my J/T/7 as outs.
-I'm not super worried about a raise with so many people in the hand it will take guts to make the raise with a hand that you have beat. In which case, folding to a big raise is probably the correct play. Also if the raise is callable you could pick up a bunch of outs on the turn.

If I get raised,call, and pick up a "good card" 7/T/J and d. I bet out on the turn.

If I get raised,call, and brick I check/fold.