Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: NYC burgers

I went to burger joint at le parker meridien last week. the atmosphere is cool. you walk into this nice, upscale hotel, and literally behind a curtain there is this loud, crowded, cash-only burger place with wooden unpadded booths and communal tables where you feel like youre sitting on top of someone you don't know eating a greasy ass burger and fries. it's $9 for a burger, fries, and a coke. I don't know why people rave about it. definitely a good burger but not very big at all and not worth 9 bucks

texas rotisserie (there are a couple of them) and jackson hole (there are a bunch) make big, awesome, greasy burgers. they get no respect though because they're basically fast food joints

msn did a thing on burgers like two weeks ago and they rated the luger burger like top 5 in the nation I think
Old 08-09-2005, 06:15 PM

Burger Joint is good -- it's a surreal experience going from the posh Parker Meridien lobby to this hole-in-the-wall place.

McHale's on 8th and 46th is excellent -- divey bar with back dining room that serves huge, cheap, excellent burgers. They're about 3/4 lbs of ground sirloin, plus another 1/3 lb or so of nice crispy bacon, if you order that. Totally no frills, but dollar for dollar, the best burger in NYC, in my opinion.

Island Burger on 9th (somewhere in the low 50s is good, but I like their chicken sandwiches better than their burgers. Lots of topping choices here, though.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Corner Bisto is the best burger I have had in the city, actually one of the best burgers I have ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly need to eat more burgers. CB is very meh.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2nd Old Town.
I really think its the best burger and fries you get in the city. I work across the street, so maybe I'm a little biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

You work at Barnes and Noble?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. If your on 18th street in the evenings, you can probably see me smoking a cigarette on the back stoop of BN.

Tony
Old 08-09-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McHale's on 8th and 46th is excellent -- divey bar with back dining room that serves huge, cheap, excellent burgers. They're about 3/4 lbs of ground sirloin, plus another 1/3 lb or so of nice crispy bacon, if you order that. Totally no frills, but dollar for dollar, the best burger in NYC, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree - best burger in NYC.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:27 PM

just eat one bro. do it. have a burger. drink a beer. smoke a cigarette and chill the fck out.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shake Shack - this is the best burger I've had in NYC.
Zaitzeff - this is the second best burger I've had in NYC.

These three places have been recommended to me:

Burger Joint (Le Parker Meridien)
Corner Bistro
Blue 9 Burger

Thoughts/comments/recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Corner Bistro, mmm, Blue 9 I had once real drunk and I threw up so I associate it with bad times. Also not that good. A good place is the Town Tavern near washington square park, its like 134 west 3rd I THINK. There's a big McDonalds Flag hanging over it. It's a 23 and over bar thurs-sunday, but go on a Tuesday, have a burger during a yankee game, and the entire place gets free shots of Yager every homerun.

EDIT: The pizza place right near Blue 9 is pretty good, I'd opt for a slice of that over one of their burgers if you're down there.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to burger joint at le parker Merredin last week. the atmosphere is cool. you walk into this nice, upscale hotel, and literally behind a curtain there is this loud, crowded, cash-only burger place with wooden unpadded booths and communal tables where you feel like you're sitting on top of someone you don't know eating a greasy ass burger and fries. it's $9 for a burger, fries, and a coke. I don't know why people rave about it. definitely a good burger but not very big at all and not worth 9 bucks

texas rotisserie (there are a couple of them) and jackson hole (there are a bunch) make big, awesome, greasy burgers. they get no respect though because they're basically fast food joints

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Josh, you just went down a notch in my cool scale. The whole point of the Shake Shack & Burger Joint burgers is that you can taste each and every ingredient separately yet together in a harmonious blend. I've had the burger at every major burger-spot in NYC, from gourmet to fast food, yet the Shake Shack and Burger Spot are probably the warmest to my heart. Corner Bistro is good but overrated compared to the Shack, Luger's is fantastic but I'd rather get a steak while I am there, the infamous Fat Burger is very yummy but it's fast food and makes you tired, Blue 9 is a poor man's in & out, Pop Burger is plain ol horrible, DB Bistro burger was fantastic (had it with JBB at the Wynn, not in NYC yet) but not for the average palet... its quite advanced, and my favorite Soho spot The Falls on Lafayette (it beats the Corner Bistro burger, get it with the smoked mozzarella made fresh every day and home made ketchup - yum!). I haven't been to 21 yet, I think thats the only legendary burger I haven't had yet.

Overall I'd rate the Shake Shack the best burger value in NYC on good days... on off days its good but not mind blowing (The day of Bunkfest was mind blowing... I had four in 1 1/2 hours & a raspberry shake... yum!). The second best burger is the Burger Spot at the Parker Meridian, but it beats the Shake Shack burger on it's off days and the fries are better too... its not as pretty as sitting in the park, but there is something very special about visiting the Burger Joint. Next on the list is The Falls burger, its the perfect downtown lunch. Lastly the DB Bistro burger and the Old Homestead Kobe Beef burger both get special mention for their uniqueness... both are excellent but stand in a league of their own.

PS: How can you guys start a burger thread in OOT and not notify me??? Its not a burger thread without TT!

PPS Burger Joint and Shake Shack KILL IN & Out. No contest...

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 02:32 AM

I read somewhere that there is a place that serves a burger that costs $100. Sounds DEELISH.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that there is a place that serves a burger that costs $100. Sounds DEELISH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its less than that, read my post in the thread for the two most expensive burgers in NY - DB & Ol' Homestead.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]