Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Default I\'m back, and I suck?

What's up people. So I took 5 months off. No poker, no 2+2, much more sleep and excercise and I actually have a tan - it was kind of nice.

So, I'm back in LA and I've been playing 400 NL while I get the rust off my game. Before I get into any hands, I will say this: Taking time off has been great for my game. For whatever reason, I now find myself a much better player and have a feel for the game that I've never had before. There's certainly a chance that I'm just running good right now, but things feel different at the tables.

I haven't even played many interesting hands, because thus far, I've generally known what to do - And most players still seem to be pretty bad.

So here's one that was weird. I'm playing 400 - 5/10 at Commerce. I have 2k and the table covered by a lot. I open limp in LP w Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - nice move, I know.

CO limps ($300), Button limps ($450), SB completes ($600), BB, who just sat down, makes it $100.

I hate to read this in others' posts but, I HAVE NO READ. I've never seen the kid before and this is his first hand at the table - He has $400 - What do you do?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: I\'m back, and I suck?

How deep is the BB?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:07 PM

push emphatically, tell him you'd love to flip a coin for $400 bucks, the laugh at him when he calls with JJ/1010.

or you can fold, but thats just not as fun.

seriously though, if he's a young guy, and its his first hand, he may be trying one of those 'look how loose i am plays' and shows 37s after everyone folds.

i think the chance of that, plus people treating 99-JJ like diseased cards pf, turns this towards a call.

welcome back bud. hope the surgery went well. i hope the LA invite is still good for this fall.

good to hear from you,

mike
Old 07-19-2005, 03:08 PM

reraise him. it will only cost 400 at most and ladies are always good to ahve in your pocket.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM

it's obviously either fold or put him all-in....I'd probably put him in....with everyone limping to him I think 99-JJ as well as AK-ish hands can be in his range here....
Old 07-19-2005, 03:20 PM

Put him All in, glad to see you are back....
Old 07-19-2005, 03:38 PM

nm, didn't notice the $400 fixed buyin listing.

Push, odds are you are just as likely to have him domminated here as the reverse if not more so and there's a decent ammount already in the pot for the risk. Not to mention you wouldn't mind showing the limped QQ here because that is going to make it very difficult for people to put you on hands in the future.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 PM

Push all-in. There's no way he'll believe you for a monster due to the limp and will likely call you with many of his hands. This could easily be the big blind with 99 or AQ or something like that figuring that nobody likes their hands and he'll take it down right there.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:15 PM

welcome back la
Old 07-19-2005, 06:13 PM

So, yeah. This hand isn't too tough to evaluate. So for the reasons you all cited - he could have 66-JJ, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ etc... I raise it to $300 - pushing seemed obnoxious. Here's where it gets good.

So the kid kind of spazzes out when the action gets to him and insta-calls and flips over his Aces - He's really excited, I think because this is just how he's seen it happen on TV. So in all of his excitement, he forgets he has another $100, and he didn't move all in, and now I've seen his cards. So, in the confusion he either dark bets the flop, or maybe he checks the flop, I don't really know, but somehow, I push a hundred stack in after seeing a flop of KT6 rainbow and knowing he has Aces. I don't quite have the odds, but the it's not that far off and the idea of spiking my set or better yet going runner-runner for the straight and busting this jackass is too great a temptation. I spike my Queen on the turn and the kid explodes and, unfortunately, leaves the table for good, after playing just one hand.

And thanks for the Welcome Back's, and FSU, you're welcome out here any time - Just let me know.