Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Opportunity Comes Knocking

I'm saying the logic behind it is routine, not the play itself. I used to be concerned almost exclusively as to whether I had the best hand. Now I am equally concerned with whether I can get the other guy off of his, regardless of my cards. Making a play like this after showing a big bluff is suicide; I agree.

I think it should be said that the majority of players are not truly good hand readers but find ways of approximating good play. They look at the board and look at your bet and sort of guess at the likely hand. They don't think much about your earlier action, or what you know about their hand. I think a 4 straight board like this is a good spot to take advantage of this weakness.

Villain has the advantage of better cards and position, however, his hand is much more defined than mine. In this particular case, that allowed me to take the pot away. If we both had the same cards and he didn't raise me preflop, I could never make this play. Were I in his position, I might be more inclined to call the turn, even with all the draws, because I wouldn't want to give a trickey opponent a chance to take the pot away.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with Rococo. I dislike the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope yu have shown down some SC in pots yu have raised or at least stood some heaviesh preflop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is SC? I dont really follow what ya mean
Old 04-08-2005, 05:38 AM

looks like you could have 77-QQ alot.

[ QUOTE ]
6 max party 1000pl - recently sat down, all players seem fairly average, no extreme agression or loose calling. I'm at about 1300, villain about the same.

dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in UTG+1. I raise to 30. CO makes it 90. I call. Flop 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, villain bets 95, I call. Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet 140, Villain raises to 340, I push for 850 more.

results:<font color="white">
Villain agonizes for 10 seconds and folds. Hero takes it down. He claimed afterward to have KK which I believe, even expect, given the action. The fact that this felt routine for me makes me feel like I've made it as a deepstack player. This isn't a play I would have even considered a year ago, but playing deep well requires creative thinking. When opportunity comes knocking, answer the call. </font>

Thoughts? Standard or Unusual?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-08-2005, 09:52 AM

Villain's real mistake was raising the turn.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:24 AM

You keep saying different things. Are you tight or loose? You said you can do this move if you're tight, but you also raise utg with 45s?

Anyways, too many factors here to consider.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:13 PM

I'm a tight caller post flop but I will open raise 6handed with a lot of hands. I don't think these are contradictory. This depends on the feel of the table, but I think that a very high percentage of people muck kings here. No one seems to admit this. Especially like tight 2+2 people or wanna be good players.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 PM

To put it simply it appears you had a good read on your opponent, and you are at point in which you trust your reads enough to risk your stack. If you are correct in your self assessment then it was a good play, if not I am sure you will be re-evaluating soon enough.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
diablo, chan, negreanu, prahlad

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of brainwashing has been going on here?