Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-25-2005, 01:10 AM

Default 66 hand, inspired by test

This is a hand that happened about a month ago. The villian is rather tough, but to say the least, he doesn't always play his A- game because he doesn't care much about the stakes.

Hero holds 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP 1.

Villian raises UTG hero flat calls.

No one else sees the flop. I really thought that I would get the multi-way pot this hand, maybe villians raise scared every- body off.

go the plan b: if I don't flop a set, I am ditching.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero senses that villian doesn't like this flop too much, villian confirms hero's thoughts by checking.

Hero bets, villian calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I wish it was a six, so I could be a bit more confident, villian checks, hero bets, villian flashes QQ and throws them in the muck.

I think to analyze this kind of situation, we have to look at TOP.

Villian knows my game well enough that I like to cold- call with hands like AQ. Seeing this flop could not be too encouraging for him. The problem facing villian is that he has to be over 67% sure that I am bluffing to make his call profitable. The only way that he could have played back at me was check- raising the flop.

Maybe this post is a bit results- oriented thinking (ROTtING, as I call it), but I think that it demonstrates what Deranged was trying to say.

I don't think that re- raising 66 is neccesarily bad. In this case of this particular hand, I had to use what my opponent knows about me against him.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: 66 hand, inspired by test

Villain should have bet the flop.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And IMO, hero should have folded preflop.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:33 AM

You are correct that I should have folded PF, but this was an action table, and I figured I would have the over- callers to allow me equity for the set. So I made an error in judgement.

I do make it a habit of following my PF raises with a continuation bet on an Ace- high board, but after being stung by the classic "slowplay" several times, it is understandable why the villian decided to slow down.

It should be understood that the general tendencies of a typical live small stakes player is to slowplay and let the pre- flop raiser hang him or herself with aggressive betting. Several props have learned to slow down when a bullet hits the board.

The usual default play is to check the flop and force the slowplayer to bet their own hand.

I understand I made an error in judgement, but got lucky with an opportune flop. But I do think this illustrates what Deranged was trying to say.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but then, what is gained by this bet? You are way ahead or way behind here, betting QQ on an AKK flop doesn't seem to be too bright at first glance.

Note that in the actual hand, his checking encouraged his opponent to put in 1.5 BB drawing almost dead. Granted, he got outplayed, but betting the flop doesn't stop us from getting outplayed, now does it?

JJ, TT, 99... sure, you bet because it becomes more and more likely that a free card will beat you. QQ though? I don't know. It seems like the only reason to bet is because you really want to fold and want to feel better about doing it.

I'm open to being convinced otherwise. What's your argument for betting? Are you taking advantage of a leak in your opponent's game, or do you think betting is best even against a perfect opponent?

-Eric
Old 12-25-2005, 01:36 PM

Eric,

Your point is a very good one in my opinion. I really don't think there is any reason QQ has to bet here.

BUT!

If he doesn't bet, I think he really needs to do something more before he can fold. If villain bets here with QQ, and gets called or raised, then he's at least done enough to define his and his opponent's hand to fold.

If he checks, though, our hero is going to bet a ton of hands here. Checking and letting him bet doesn't tell us anything about his hand, and folding is much more dangerous.

One particular reason that checking is dangerous is that a lot of the hands a decent, 2+2-type player might consider cold-calling with here are hands that miss that flop: hands like QJs, 88, and so forth. We don't like cold-calling hands with big unsuited cards; most any hand we'd want to play with an A here (excepting maybe like AJs or AQs) we'd be three-betting. KQs and KJs might be in play, but they certainly don't make up a majority of hero's range. (Hero's range I think is like {55-99, JTs-KQs, KJs-AQs, AJs} or something like that).

So the important consideration for villain is to play his hand in a consistent way: if he's going to check the flop, he can't give up on the hand so easily.

My personally preferred way to play villain's hand would be to bet the flop, call a raise (a raise might be from a draw which will check behind the turn). On the turn I'd either bet-fold or check-call the turn and check-fold the river.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:54 PM

Villian knows my game well enough that I like to cold- call with hands like AQ.

Villain knows I like to cold call with dominated hands and pray for cool calls behind me?

Ugh.

Fold preflop. Also, fold AQ preflop.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but then, what is gained by this bet? You are way ahead or way behind here, betting QQ on an AKK flop doesn't seem to be too bright at first glance.

Note that in the actual hand, his checking encouraged his opponent to put in 1.5 BB drawing almost dead. Granted, he got outplayed, but betting the flop doesn't stop us from getting outplayed, now does it?

JJ, TT, 99... sure, you bet because it becomes more and more likely that a free card will beat you. QQ though? I don't know. It seems like the only reason to bet is because you really want to fold and want to feel better about doing it.

I'm open to being convinced otherwise. What's your argument for betting? Are you taking advantage of a leak in your opponent's game, or do you think betting is best even against a perfect opponent?

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, if hero(cold-caller) is ahead he's not folding. If behind he is likely deciding between folding and trying to make villain fold.

With any kind of read on the cold-caller as a decent player, the cold-call preflop is a strange play. Either he holds a monster looking to drum up action or maybe he is just suffering a brief lack of discipline??? The chances he holds AA, KK or AKs are very small given the flop, so...this leads me toward getting to showdown/not folding my QQ. (I also think it is much more likely villain holds a K than the cc'er.)

So the main reason for leading out at some point in this hand is actually for value AND not giving free cards.
<font color="green">But would I rather see villain fold than take free cards? </font>

How much does a free card hurt in this small pot? I guess we shouldn't be too scared since we only lose to running trips, a set or a str8...all rather unlikely. Edit: flush also possible.

I prefer betting the flop to keep an opponent behind from checking through.
If called checking the turn if...

1) I think my opponent will bet here on a bluff.
2) My opponent will raise the turn with an Ax.
3) My opponent will semi-bluff the turn with a draw.

Thoughts?
Old 12-25-2005, 09:40 PM

This hand is completely different from the test.

This hand:

Villain raises. He's a "rather tough."
Hero cold-calls.

Quiz hand:

Villain open-limps. He is a "weak-tight" player.
Hero raises.

Huge difference. Fold pre-flop.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:20 AM

Villian's hand is giving me a headache.

I think it actually matters if villian holds the Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and to a lesser degree Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

The reason I say this, is the only hands that can realisticly cold call preflop and that have more than two outs on the flop are QJs (maybe JT[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).

If villian holds red queens, he should definitely c/r the flop.
Hero will bet with soo many hands that villian is ahead of, winning more when ahead.
Plus we can pretty safely fold to a 3bet knowing he is much less likely to hold a draw and knowing that if the flop checks through villian has only 2 outs MAXIMUM.

Thoughts????