Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 05:03 AM

Default JJ On The River On Not Such a Great Board

Villain is loose preflop and pretty aggr. postflop. Suprisingly he has a low went to showdown percentage. I'm not using numbers since this is only over like 50 hands. I do know he is loose preflop and aggro postflop though. I have a tight nitty table image.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

Meh standard?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: JJ On The River On Not Such a Great Board

Might be better off inducing a bluff, since villain is aggressive postflop and there aren't many hands villain will overcall with that we beat - 99, TT are both possible, though I think we can discount both based on the flop play. In this case, I think we're better off when calling a bet from villain.

It's an ugly board and check/folding may even be a consideration. However I don't think I can (or should) ever check-fold verse a loose/aggressive villain for 1 BB. And therefore, I like check/calling.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:35 AM

I don't like betting here. You said he's aggro post-flop. I feel like you will get bluff-raised here, or you're being slowplayed because whenever aggro players call/call like this they have AA and are awesome.

I'd much rather check-fold, but I guess that would be bad against an "aggro postflop" player. I guess he could bet an 8 here or the Q of clubs, so I'd check-call and hate it.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:45 AM

Toss,

I'm going to go against the grain so far and say that I think this bet is completely standard given your read. If this guy is truely a LAG I'm convinced you would have heard from a flush or an ace by the turn and thus his most likely holdings once you get to the river are a ton of pairs that are smaller than JJ. Furthermore, LAGs like to call bets with pairs on the river even when the board gets ugly.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:07 AM

I think if villain was going to bluff raise he would've done so on the turn.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:49 AM

Since villain most definitely would have raised the turn if he had an ace or a flush, we know he doesn't have that. Thus, I think the river bet is okay, and since it's not clear that he'll raise with a pair of kings, you might as well put in the bet yourself instead of letting him do the betting. And if he has a pair of eights, I think he will call you on the river, but it's not obvious that he will bet with the same pair if you check to him.

But of course, those bluff raises...is it easy folds if you're raised either on the turn or the river? I hate raises [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 11:26 AM

I like a check/call this time. Villain may have called this turn with a lone [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and is ready to fold the river.
Of course his lone [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] may be in a smaller pp.

But since hero will be raising plenty preflop I want to see villain's hand here. Is he bad enough to be cold calling with QTo?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

given our read that he is aggressive postflop i would tend to check to him and let him bluff at the pot. i think you are usually a dog on this river and i wouldn't mind it checking through as i think he will call with more hands that beat you than he will necessarily bet himself. when i am leading every street without aggression i tend to just keep betting. in the heat of the battle since he has just been calling i would probably just keep betting. i think check/call would be more correct.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 PM

Why would be bet this. What exactly are we beating if called, and what worse hands are folding. Would this guy fold a K.. I doubt it. Any A calls. 99 that TT would have 3bet us preflop.

So that being said a check is almost required IMHO. The question is do we call. With the read that you presented, I think that we can call and this guy might bet Q8s or random something.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like betting here....I'd check-call and hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]