Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 05:25 PM

Default I need a Set of poker chips

i am looking for a reasonable price for a set of new/used poker chips, ranging from 200-500 playable chips. if anyone could help me with this please respond.
thx
Old 06-10-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: I need a Set of poker chips

Old 06-10-2005, 05:45 PM

www.pokerchipreviews.com
www.homepokertourney.com
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Ok, cheap chips -- there are lots of options. Here are three.

1. faux clay dice chips-- about 6 cents a chip (plus shipping). Great feel, good weight, good stacking. Only real down side, is that they're a solid color with no edge spots. Many in the 'chip' forums rave about these. Great value.

2. Six Stripe "Soprano" Chips -- Less than 6 cents a chip (plus shipping). These are the chips that were used in the Soprano's TV series, and (I think) in the movie "The Cooler". Upside -- they look cool. Down side -- a bit light. There are two varieties of these -- the lighter one (listed as 7.5 or 8g) is the cheap one. The newer, heavy variety costs about twice as much.

3. Composite "Dice" Chips. You'll find these everywhere. Best I've seen is 0.1c for 500 chips, aluminum case, two decks of cards and dice. (Plus 39.95 shipping and handling) on a well known auction site. Even mentioning these may get me flamed, but for a beginner set, they're not that bad. Advantages -- Cheap, probably most popular chip set in the world) Feel like plastic, make a metallic clink when dropped, Don't stack as well as the rest. If you order from auction site, you may not be able to choose your color distribution.

Personally -- I'd go with the faux clay (actually, I DID go with the faux clay, they're all wrapped up and waiting for me for Father's day)-- with the case, etc. they're only a couple of dollars more than the composite dice, but IMO, a much nicer chip.

How to find them -- I'm don't think we're supposed to list commercial sites here. You can either google Faux Clay" or pm me. One site lists these for 8 cents a chip, but currently offers a 26% discount. It's the best deal I've found.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:09 AM

that was just cruel.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:47 AM

5stardeal. search for 10-1600. set of 300 for $40.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am looking for a reasonable price for a set of new/used poker chips, ranging from 200-500 playable chips. if anyone could help me with this please respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebay baby. I won a set of 1000 of the dreaded 11.5 g "Deluxe Diamond" chips from the dealer plegend from Ebay last year for $77.00 plus $30 shipping. It included an aluminum carrying case that was a piece of crap though.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 AM

Ha. I realize the Hoyle plastic chips may not be Grade A, esp. on this board, but I had some good times with the Hoyle chips playing laid back with the family on vacation and stuff.

So, I've still got some love for the Hoyle chips.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 AM

Good deal
Old 06-15-2005, 12:01 PM

I have a set of 500 of the faux clay. For the money (I paid $55 incl delivery from 5star) I don't think they can be beat. Everyone in my game has a different set of chips (most have 11.5g w/metal inserts from various dealers) and I FAR prefer the faux clay for feel/sound. Factor in that everyone paid a lot more for their, IMO, poorer composites and it just makes the faux clay that much more appealing.

I do wish the chips were a little better looking (edge spots or denoms), but that stuff doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the feel and sound. One game of people shuffling/riffling with 11.5g metal-insert chips is enough to drive me batty, not to mention the fact that those slick chips stacks fall over all the time.

Plus, you take the money you save on the chip set and get some nice cards, maybe a couple poker books and you are WAY out ahead.

Final thought: If you play tourney style no-limit you very quickly realize you'd like enough chips for a color-up or two; the faux clays will let you put together a 650+ set for really cheap. And if a MTT is in your future, you really can't beat the price to end up with 1000+ chips.