Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Check raised by the lead bettor.. what does this mean?

I don't have the hand history but I remember the hand vividly. Stars 2/4 full ring. No reads.

Hero (UTG) raises A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. All fold to SB who 3-bets. BB folds and I call.

Flop (7 SB): A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain bets, I call.

Turn (4.5 BB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet, villain raises.

Just call him down? In a mild full table, I generally hate calling down these spontaneous check raises, but I do it anyway and usually lose. And what about a flop raise? Is that the preferred move here?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Check raised by the lead bettor.. what does this mean?

He's check-raising you here because he knows you pretty much have to call it.

Therefore, it may not be such a bad move to dump it here. You're getting like 4-1 on a calldown, and I think you're winning less than that.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM

I think SB most likely makes this move with a monster. He is not afraid of giving you the free card on the turn because he holds AK and figures you may fold to his bet so he mixes it up. If he is indeed raising you with a worse hand he gets 2.75:1 on a fold and may have a couple outs on the river if you call.

Consider this:

1) No read, but not many players 3-bet an UTG raiser from the SB.
2) If you are indeed ahead, what is your turn bet going to accomplish? Will villain call you down with KQ, QQ-99?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 PM

You may want to consider raising the flop you have top pair with a decent kicker . . . and his reaction to your bet will be most helpful [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (in either saving bets on the turn/river . . . or raising for value)
Old 12-22-2005, 08:16 PM

No reason to raise the flop. An argument could certainly be made for a turn check I believe. He's either c/raising or c/folding a two outer most of the time. I think you could fold to the c/r. After the play I've seen all this week I'd call it down today. I think the holidays must get people a bit overexcited. But generally, folding is probably best.