Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 01:05 AM

Default How long to win money?

I'm still pretty new to online poker. I find that the money I deposit lasts longer but I still eventually go broke.

I read poker theory as much as I can and try to learn from my mistakes at the table.

I'm currently playing 1/2 shorthanded hold'm. I play about 15 hrs a week. What would be the average time for a player to start beating the game enough to move up?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: How long to win money?

How much are you depositing? Have you read SSHE? Were you beating full ring before you started playing Short Handed? Pokertracker stats?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 AM

If you can't beat 1/2 you should go down to .5/1 (or lower)

Shorthanded is a different ball of wax than full. Full is easier to learn initially as most books and strategy are designed for full (parts of books talk about shorthanded of coruse).

Get and read Theory of Poker and Small Stakes Hold Em if you have not (I'm assuming you play limit and not NL).

You should bonus whore alot early on to build up an nice roll that can withstand the learning process.

And you should be using Poker Tracker if you plan on being serious about playing. The newer you are the more it helps.

And last my best piece of advice, realize that no matter how good or great you get poker is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes many thousands of hands and many hours of play to see substantial results. There IS money to be made but it is alot of work/discipline and comes in slowly usually... and there WILL be downswings.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't beat 1/2 you should go down to .5/1 (or lower)

Shorthanded is a different ball of wax than full. Full is easier to learn initially as most books and strategy are designed for full (parts of books talk about shorthanded of coruse).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently reading "Small Stakes," and plan to read "Theory" next.

From what I've read, the way to play shorthanded is to play it as longhanded with the first few playing already folding.

I realize that when one is relatively new there are dues or tuition to be paid. But what I'm really wondering is how long it takes to consistantly beat the guys who don't do their homework vis a vis study poker theory.

In addition, I've been playing strictly no-limit as I find that there's much more action there.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:40 AM

If you are playing No Limit, why are you reading books designed for limit? 1/2 NL is way too high for a new player with no knowledge specific to a tough game like NL 6 Max to be playing.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing No Limit, why are you reading books designed for limit? 1/2 NL is way too high for a new player with no knowledge specific to a tough game like NL 6 Max to be playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the best theory books seem to focus on Limit. The no-limit books I've seen leave much to be desired and tend to focus more on tournaments.

In addition, I feel I still need more basic poker theory so I want to read all the classic Sklansky books and try to adapt some of the concepts to no-limit.

As far as the stakes being to high, from what I've seen the people on .50/1 are just as likely to go all in for a $100 as they are on 1/2. The size of the blinds don't seem to be as big of a factor as who wins the big all in bets
Old 10-29-2005, 02:11 AM

The size of the blinds matters a great deal depending on how much of a bankroll you have. You haven't answered that yet, and until you do its impossible for us to tell you if you even have a chance of winning money, or how to go about it.

And yes, the best books are on limit hold em. That is why if you want to make money, you should be playing Limit, since these books can easily teach you how to make money at it. After reading SSHE ANYONE with average intelligence can win money in the micro limits. But if you try to graft different game strategies to NL without a grounding in winning poker first, you are in for a struggle.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 AM

You should bonus whore alot early on to build up an nice roll that can withstand the learning process.

bonus whore to withstand the suckouts. Play solid, fundamental poker.

I'm so frustrated right now. Those stupid suckouts.

regardless, play solid.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:43 AM

A lot of it is going to depend on how intelligent you are, how much time you have to play, and how much time you have to study...
Old 10-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. Some good stuff to chew on.