Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Good spot to wait until turn to raise?

villain is 14/7 over 50 hands.

i've stopped abusing the wait until the turn move, so I was just curious if this is an ok spot to bust it out.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets (all-in)</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Good spot to wait until turn to raise?

Misread the action I'll think about it some more
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM

why are you not 3-betting preflop?

Sure, the flop/turn play is fine.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Why no re-raise pre-flop? I definitely raise this flop. If MP1 doesn't have an ace, he's less likely to bet into you on the turn and less likely to calldown after a turn raise than a flop raise. If he does have the ace, then he's more likely to re-raise the flop than turn.

Scott
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM

I three bet preflop. I raise the flop because it is three way and there are draws on that board. also, if MP1 is soo short stacked it looks like he's going all the way if he has an ace. Jam while you are ahead. I don't really like that turn check. there are way too many draws villain could take a free card to hit. cap that turn when he's got one bet left. IMO this isn't the best hand to get fancy in.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM

You must raise PF here. You really want to put pressure on UTG to fold, since AKo plays much better HU than 3-way.

As you played it, you may as well wait till the turn to raise. If either player has an A, there's no reason for them to think they're outkicked by the BB. If they don't have an A, you're not risking much by giving a free card.

But that's not my first choice - 3-betting PF and betting any flop is a far better approach to this hand.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Yeah i normally would 3 bet pf, must've missclicked or w/e..

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop because it is three way and there are draws on that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG is not folding to 2 cold on this board, he'd call 2 cold because he's a fish and because he has odds if hes chasing the flush.

yeah i know MP1 is short stacked, and really i dont think it matters what i do, he's throwing all his money in, but lets pretend he isnt short stacked for the sake of the hand.

I think theres a lot of hands in villains range that he keeps on betting the turn with, he's not a total LP, he'll bet this turn with pocket pairs KK and under and he'll bet and pay me off with AJ and AQ
Old 11-08-2005, 07:00 PM

I'd play it differently on every street.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:32 PM

no.

why are you waiting?

you don't need to protect your hand, and your hand is not so invulnerable as to make slow-playing necessary. if you "need to slow play" because all the pots are small, find a new table.

also, not raising preflop sucks really, really badly.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:36 PM

(a) if it was a misclick preflop, fine.

(b) you're betting/raising this flop for value. if people fold, fine, if they call, fine. if they raise, 3-bet.

(c) given that you played this so passively the turn will get bet a lot of times. but you REALLY don't want to give free cards on the turn

(d) comments like "he has odds if he's chasing the flush" lead me to believe you're fundamentally misunderstanding why we wait for the turn. if someone has a flush draw on this flop, they're going to see the river. your job is to make sure they pay as much as possible while they chase.