Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Default KQ takes free card?

Villian is 25/11/1.14

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: KQ takes free card?

Hmm. This is tricky. I think AK (8 combos) and TT (6 combos) are Villain's most likely hands. AT (16 combos) should probably be thrown in there too, though, even if we should discount that somewhat because of the EP preflop raise. A hand like AJ (12 combos) is also possible. Villain could have raised the flop for a cheap showdown.

The river lead denies a free showdown. We'll get raised a fair amount of the time, though, and I think we need to call (I think the raise will be coming from AK often enough). Unfortunately, though, in addition to losing to rivered straights, we'll also sometimes discover Villain checked the turn because he made the nut flush and decided to slowplay.

Anyway, your play in the hand looks good to me.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Why check the [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn? you looking to get outdrawn by the guy with a three of [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. This is tricky. I think AK (8 combos) and TT (6 combos) are Villain's most likely hands. AT (16 combos) should probably be thrown in there too, though, even if we should discount that somewhat because of the EP preflop raise. A hand like AJ (12 combos) is also possible. Villain could have raised the flop for a cheap showdown.

The river lead denies a free showdown. We'll get raised a fair amount of the time, though, and I think we need to call (I think the raise will be coming from AK often enough). Unfortunately, though, in addition to losing to rivered straights, we'll also sometimes discover Villain checked the turn because he made the nut flush and decided to slowplay.

Anyway, your play in the hand looks good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda doubt that a guy with 1.14 aggr. factor would raise that river.

I think this river should be a bet/fold.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:26 PM

Easy bet/fold on this river. With both a flush and a straight possible, villian isn't raising anything that doesn't beat you, and he might not even raise with Tx.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why check the [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn? you looking to get outdrawn by the guy with a three of [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember wanting to c/r the turn when I called the flop, but probably was concentrating on another table and didn't notice that it was a club that came down.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:43 PM

I like a bet on the turn because it scares villain. It sets up a clark for us on the river, which we're doing anyway. Plus, the board is draw heavy and chances are we are ahead so I don't want to give a free card. If I'm just calling the flop and not 3/betting, it is so I donk the turn.

River looks like b/f to me, if you have enough read to know AK isn't raising.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:53 PM

I also think a bet on the turn is correct here.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:12 PM

This looks like a really sweet situation for a turn donk-bet...

River is a bet-fold but the situation basically sucks... The only reason I'm betting is because I'd have to call a bet if I check and betting forces worse hands to have to pay, but I sort of think this is one of those odd river situations were it's correct to bet even though you are likely losing more than 50% of the time...
Old 11-28-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda doubt that a guy with 1.14 aggr. factor would raise that river.

I think this river should be a bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're probably right.

Part of my thinking was that the guy with AK might be so excited about having improved that he would raise despite the board, thinking something along the lines of, "Ha! Don't you understand the free-card play, idiot?"

Actually, though, upon reflection, I'm not sure it's all that likely that this Villain is raising AK on that flop in the first place.

I'm not liking our chances on the river as much as I did at first.