Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 PM

Default do you often make a play like this with a small pair?

villian is 37.4/6.81/.97

my thinking on the flop: he probably doesn't have a pair yet.

my thinking on the turn: oh what the [censored]

my thinking on the river: thats better

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (6.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 7.70 BB
Old 11-08-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: do you often make a play like this with a small pair?

I usually reraise with small PP's to isolate, obviously in this situation it wouldn't have worked. The rest of the hand is out of my jurisdiction.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:32 PM

Check/fold flop.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/fold flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost always do that but i feel like i miss out a lot of times when i have the best hands, especially when the aggressor PF is very loose and could be raising a lot of trashy hands.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 AM

What were your thoughts behind the river bet?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:21 AM

Check the flop and fold if you have to overcall, and either raise or call if the other guy gets out. If I called I'd donk the turn on a safe card. If I check/raise I'm folding to any more agression.

The flop donk doesn't really do anything unless you know he'll raise with overcards often, he's usually calling when you have him beat and you're not protecting your hand, or he's raising when he has you beat and you're not protecting your hand. Sometimes he might raise with a hand you're ahead of and you have to fold it since he won't do it often enough for you to call down. All you do is waste money when the other guys call or check/raises or when the PFRer raises with a worse hand.

There's also another obvious situation apart fromm if he'll raise with overcards when the flop donk is best, when the PFRer won't auto bet the flop, but since there's no reads we can assume most people will bet it 3 handed when shown weakness.

Edit: I'd check/fold the turn since the only hand you're ahead of is Kx and I don't think 7% PFR guys raise many Kx hands PF. I could be wrong, though, if he'd raise KQo and KJs then I like a bet. I'd be more likelty to donk the turn if I check/called the flop since you have the added equity he might fold a pocket pair lower than aces, he's probably not going to put you on an ace when you donked the flop.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2005, 12:58 AM

It is doubtful the villain folded a better hand here.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought he probably had overcards and when the ace came i figured he might have hit one of his overcards but i bet anyway because if i didn't he would have auto-bet and i would have had to fold. i bet anyway figuring he'd raise if he had an ace and he didn't. that left me relatively clueless as to what he had but when the second ace came down it obviously made it less likely that he had an ace ( and keep in mind i would have folded to any raise along the way ). there's probably something wrong with my line of thought here and i definetly wouldn't mind having it pointed out regardless of how the hand played out.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there's probably something wrong with my line of thought here and i definetly wouldn't mind having it pointed out regardless of how the hand played out.

[/ QUOTE ]
The river A doesn't change a thing. If you were ahead on the turn you're still ahead, and vice versa. The flop offered both flush and straight draws and either villian missed a draw or he's winning and not folding.

I think this river is almost a perfect instance of where you want to check/call and hopefully induce a bluff if you're ahead, while limiting your loss to a single bet if you're behind.