Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Small blind epiphany.

[ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't I cold-call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said you shouldn't?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said you shouldn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone who says its never correct to cold call a steal raise in the small blind. IIRC mason is in this camp.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 AM

Never cold-call?? EVER?? There are many situations where coldcalling is wayy better than either other option. For a start, all of the times when you're going to have to hit a pair to win, yet your hand is too good to fold. There's also more.

I reckon that never coldcalling in the SB is leaving a fair amount of money on the table, especially in more aggressive higher stakes games.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never cold-call?? EVER?? There are many situations where coldcalling is wayy better than either other option. For a start, all of the times when you're going to have to hit a pair to win, yet your hand is too good to fold. There's also more.

I reckon that never coldcalling in the SB is leaving a fair amount of money on the table, especially in more aggressive higher stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats what I remember Mason saying when I had lunch with him [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But I guess I could be misquoting him. I doubt he will come in here to correct me...btw this is strictly talking about when we are against a button steal raise.

anyways, I dont find myself cold calling a button steal raise very often at all. I am more willing to cold call if the raise comes from the CO or HJ though.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 Blind Structure

Preflop: Jeff is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>.

Button 20/11/1.6 (Full ring stats)
BB 54/0/.5 (Ditto)

[/ QUOTE ]

in this situation i think i cold call 100%. but i could be wrong.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyways, I dont find myself cold calling a button steal raise very often at all. I am more willing to cold call if the raise comes from the CO or HJ though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about if you hold T9s here? And the button knows you 3-bet light here (say you 3-bet with JTo here last lap and showed it down). I dunno how Mason could possibly argue for anything but coldcalling then.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
equity (%)
32% { K6s }
41% { 22+, A2s+, K6s+, Q7s+, J7s+, T7s+, 97s+, 87s, A2o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o }
27% { random }

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why this hand shouldn't go in the muck. Your 32% pot equity whith rake is a loss. Your out of postion, your likely dominated so your are likely to lose more when behind and win less when your ahead. And what about the times BB really does have a hand and you are 3bet.

Besides this hand which I couldn't call without more info as to why this has really got me thinking when is it okay
to CC on a steal raise. Given this same situation what else would you CC.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 AM

Isn't steal percentage rather than pfr going to be more important in situations like this? I coldcall here sometimes, but certainly not 100%.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 Blind Structure

Preflop: Jeff is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>.

Button 20/11/1.6 (Full ring stats)
BB 54/0/.5 (Ditto)

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldn't this be an easy fold without some serious metagame considerations? (e.g. it is 3-handed and you have been folding, or have been showing down some serious winners)

I thought we didn't want to go up against good players with marginal hands when we're out of position, I think I might be missing something
Old 10-10-2005, 09:39 AM

This is a pretty clear raise/fold situation to me with the default being to fold. The decision is based on button's steal and WTSD%.