Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Direct Tv, Flat screen, HD, DVR questions

[ QUOTE ]
Non-HD DirecTV has a resolution that makes an HD set a waste of money. Sadly, HD DirecTV with DVR is super expensive, while non-HD DirecTV with DVR is super cheap. I have 4 DVRs, mostly because I refuse to watch live TV, and because the cost is $5 a month total for all 4, and the units ranged from $0 to $100. With cable they wanted $6.95/month per DVR.

Within a few years HD DirecTV will be reasonably priced, and I'll upgrade then.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who have Directv are biased towards them and bad mouth cable and vice versa. I love my Comcast. Comcast though is different in different areas depending on their equipment.

My area has top notch equipment and it makes sense to go with Comcast for less $

The comment about the screen shrinking too is right on. I have a 50" Panasonic LCD HDTV ($2299 on sale Circuit City) and was over whelmed by it at first and now it is normal. It takes going over other places to appreciate it fully again.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:57 AM

Well I'm off to check out the different memorial day sales.
One thing I should have mentioned, which may have been apparent from the costco selection I am considering, is that I am pretty sure the tv I choose will be a wall mount, so I may be paying more for a smaller televison - the 38" vs. the 50".
Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Directv is converting to Mpeg-4, making the current HD TIVO obsolete very soon. You actually can find the HD tivo for under $300 with new service, but whether is worth it or not is an open question. It really depends on DirecTV replacement policy when they switch to Mpeg-4.

That said, I think the current deal is the Panasonic PT-43LC14 at Costco, I saw it there for $1499. The new Panny models are very good (very much comparable to the Sony Grand Wega line, but much much cheaper). So a PT43LC14 + DIrectv HD DVR ~~ $1800, which is a damn good deal. If you go that route, you need a triple LNB dish (just let the sales guy know they know what it is).

You should really wait until DirecTV switches to MPEG-4 though, it'll save a future headache (and probably $$ too).