Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Stars $22 180 man MTT, heads up A7

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise allin on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree. My reasoning @ the time was that if I was ahead, my opponent was probably drawing to somewhere between 2-5 outs, which was fine by me. Cards I didn't want to see on the river were a K, Q, and T. I also wanted to minimize damage in case my opponent held a bigger ace than me. He almost certainly wouldn't fold that to an all-in on the turn, and he would probably check the river if he didn't make two pair on the river. Do you call or fold to river bet? What do you put my opponent on?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I push preflop, I'll always be a significant dog if he calls. What's your line, assuming you only call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necesarily true. He could call with KQ, 66, or A6 or something. HU, he could easily call with face cards or something. Anyway, if he doesn't call, you pick up the pot. If you are ahead, it is about the same EVwise whether or not he calls.

You are a 9-1 dog to AA, about a 7-3 dog to A8-AK and 88-KK, but how often can he get a hand like that HU. You are slightly behind 22-66 and somewhat ahead of anything else.

The pot is big. I don't see what's wrong with a semibluff push.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:02 PM

After taking out A7

Total Combos = 50*49/2 = 1225

77, AA = 3 combos
88-KK = 6 combos each
AK-A8 = 12 combos each
2*3 + 6*6 + 6*12 = 114

114/1225 ~ 9% of the time
Old 12-10-2005, 05:12 PM

You don't wanna push preflop if you can handle him postflop. Don't play big pots against inferior opponents. I insta-call river. You have top friggin pair HU. This is like having top two full ring. As far as the check/raise all in on turn, I don't think a worse hand is calling and only way behind hands are folding, same thing with river. If you call the river then you played it the same way I would.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:52 PM

I think most of the time you need to raise pre-flop since you're OOP. Having called PF, this was a great flop for you HU. A great flop. I like a CR on the flop -- no more free cards. Even if he folds, you are now 2-1 chip lead, and you define your hand. CC is only okay if you are slowplaying him, therefore after the turn, which is no scare card, you must check-raise him. The way you played it, his river bet is scary -- looks like he's trying to tempt you (or else it's a very weak bluff). Getting better than 3-1, hard to fold since he would very likely play K-J, Q-J, 99 and other small pairs this way. I don't put him on AJ, A6, JJ or 66, since he would likely have slowplayed you after the flop with these HU monsters. However, A8, AT, 88, TT, KQ, JT, all seem possible.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After taking out A7

Total Combos = 50*49/2 = 1225

77, AA = 3 combos
88-KK = 6 combos each
AK-A8 = 12 combos each
2*3 + 6*6 + 6*12 = 114

114/1225 ~ 9% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

So if he is raising 27% of the time, he has A7s dominated 7-3 about 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time you either are called ahead or slightly behind 22-66 or you pick up the pot.

Pushing is certainly chip EV+ compared to folding.

I would rather push, since you are OOP and you do not have an easy hand to play.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't wanna push preflop if you can handle him postflop. Don't play big pots against inferior opponents. I insta-call river. You have top friggin pair HU. This is like having top two full ring. As far as the check/raise all in on turn, I don't think a worse hand is calling and only way behind hands are folding, same thing with river. If you call the river then you played it the same way I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point about playing big pots with inferior opponents. However, the money is not that deep that you can keep pots small.

Also, it depends on your style and your opponent. I outplay passive players like this HU by playing aggressively. If I can't make big semibluffs preflop or postflop, I lose my advantage.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Reraise pf. Check-calling the flop is fine. Check-raise all in on the turn.