Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 01:07 AM

Default when to move down stakes, bankroll wise

when you get the required bankroll and move up to bigger tables, do you move right back down if you lose a few buy ins since you dont have the required bankroll anymore or do you stick it out for a bit?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: when to move down stakes, bankroll wise

I would move down if you believe you lost the buy ins because you made errors in your play. Every poker player should be able to admit defeat and move down in limits until they are able to fix their leaks.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 AM

Make sure you have the skill first. If you made $1000 while playing 25NL, you have the BR for 50NL but you may or may not have the skill for 50NL.

For example, i took 3 shots at 50NL so far this year, two failed after losing 4 buyins so i built back up at 25NL. The third one is happening right now, i lost $100 the first day after being rivered 3 times for -$70 (AA vs AA flush, AA vs runner runner str8 by short stack and two-pair losing to a river set), but i made $210 so far today, so just hang in there, maybe its the variance.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you have the skill first. If you made $1000 while playing 25NL, you have the BR for 50NL but you may or may not have the skill for 50NL.

For example, i took 3 shots at 50NL so far this year, two failed after losing 4 buyins so i built back up at 25NL. The third one is happening right now, i lost $100 the first day after being rivered 3 times for -$70 (AA vs AA flush, AA vs runner runner str8 by short stack and two-pair losing to a river set), but i made $210 so far today, so just hang in there, maybe its the variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

not saying im on a downswing or anything was just wondering,
btw seems like me and you are at around the same level, just moved up to 50NL and also up around $150 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] gl to you
Old 12-21-2005, 02:20 AM

consider having a plan before you move up. For example, you have $500. your plan might go like this:
I'll move up to $50 NL, but if I lose $200, then i go back down to $25 nl until I'm back to $500.
If i win, i'll send home $300 when I get to $800 and keep doing that until i have sent home $1200. Once i have "kept" 1200, then the next 300 will be added to my stake and i'll move up to $100 Nl. If i lose $400, then back to $50 nl.
I think the most important element here is to "reward" yourself, by sending money home when you are a winner.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the most important element here is to "reward" yourself, by sending money home when you are a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea! Especially since bankroll grows faster than skill.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 AM

I move down when my roll hits the "buy-in" limit of the last level. Ie. if I move to NL200 when my roll hits 4k, I will move down to NL100 when it hits 2k and so on.