Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Evacuees being turned away from Houston\'s Astrodome

WTF is going on here. CNN just reported from the Astrodome that Houston police, on orders from the fire marshall, is not allowing anymore survivors in. The evacuees are distraught. I would snap if after the 7 hour drive I was told not to get off the bus.

They showed the floor of the Astrodome a few hours ago and I was thinking things are filling up fast.

Jeeeeez ... this has been just terrible.

Greg H.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Evacuees being turned away from Houston\'s Astrodome

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is going on here. CNN just reported from the Astrodome that Houston police, on orders from the fire marshall, is not allowing anymore survivors in. The evacuees are distraught. I would snap if after the 7 hour drive I was told not to get off the bus.

They showed the floor of the Astrodome a few hours ago and I was thinking things are filling up fast.

Greg H.

[/ QUOTE ]

LET THEM PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Greg H.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Superdome then Astrodome.

Let's play two!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice reference.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice reference.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 AM

I think a reporter this evening summed it up best...

We're in Iraq under the pretense that we are defenders of peace and helping the oppressed citizens.....

And this is how we handle the suffering in our own country.
What must the world think now?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a reporter this evening summed it up best...

We're in Iraq under the pretense that we are defenders of peace and helping the oppressed citizens.....

And this is how we handle the suffering in our own country.
What must the world think now?

[/ QUOTE ]

This thought crossed my mind the other day. Very humbling. On a sidenote, I heard that the UN offered assistance in the way of expertise (i.e. recovering infrastructure from flooding, real specific big think stuff, not $$$) and the U.S. has yet to reply.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:43 AM

So let me get this straight - they are supposed to just let everyone into the Astrodome? What do you think would happen if they didn't control how many people were let in there? I'll say No thanks to a Superdome in my backyard, thank you very much.

None of this is going to go smoothly - it just isn't going to happen.

A big injustice in this is that people that actually listened to the order to leave New Orleans weren't allowed in the Astrodome. Those that didn't leave, at least some of them, had a reserved spot.

(I'm aware many couldn't leave - but there are a whole lot of people there that waited this thing out in their house, and when that levee broke, they were screwed. Many of them should NEVER have been there.)
Old 09-02-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this straight - they are supposed to just let everyone into the Astrodome? What do you think would happen if they didn't control how many people were let in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, everyone can't be let into the Astrodome. The fire marshall and local authorities understand that X number of people can be sustained there. A few posters have touched on one of the main issues here ... THERE IS NO LEADERSHIP. None. Zip. Unacceptable. No gameplan. No logistics. No communication. Not enough National Guard, Airborne, Marines, Infantry in NO. This hurricane was bringing menace. National Guard (at least 5,000) should have been stationed in NO BEFORE Katrina hit land. One poster stated its too early to tell how the relief effort is going. Ummm, come again. I heard the director of FEMA say tonight that he didn't realize people were at the convention center until today. I knew this information yesterday. Lack of foresight. Lack of leadership.

I am pissed that people are dieing as I type this. I am pissed that American citizens have gone 72 hours without food and water. What are you missing people. American citizens have gone without food and water for 3 days. Hello. I'll go out on a limb and say we'll hear our first canabilism report tomorrow.

Greg H.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:13 AM

Who should be leading this effort? Probably the governor, right? But we have the FEMA people, director of homeland security, the mayor, the president, etc. making statements. Presumably they are all making decisions. Or not making decisions, which actually seems to be the case. Who do you think should take over?