Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 AM

Default how do you play against posters?

im new to the online scene so posters are not very common to me.

if your hand is worth limping with in EP in normal games, but there is a poster in LP, should you raise or call? what if there are multiple limpers? does it make much of a difference if the hand is suited or not? if you have KQo UTG should this now be raised instead of a limp? what if its A9s? how about 88?

what about the times that there is a UTG poster and youre on the button, should you loosen or tighten up your raising standards. how loose should you go to if there is a CO poster who hasnt raised?

can you limp/raise in with hands that you normally wouldnt with, with a LP poster? what if its a hand like 9Ts that you would play after a limper, could you limp 9Ts UTG with a LP poster? how about weak suited aces? small pairs?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Re: how do you play against posters?

[ QUOTE ]
what about the times that there is a UTG poster and youre on the button, should you loosen or tighten up your raising standards. how loose should you go to if there is a CO poster who hasnt raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's folded to you on the button with any poster who checks, you should loosen up BIG TIME and raise with basically any two cards. I've won quite a few pots on the button with absolute garbage. You might have to temper this a bit with overly loose blinds, but you should be raising almost 100% of the time in these cases.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:42 AM

My thoughts :
<font color="green"> if your hand is worth limping with in EP in normal games, but there is a poster in LP, should you raise or call?</font>
I think it depends. I will limp more loosely with a poster in. My raising will also be a little looser but from EP there's still plenty of people to play so standards aren't affected too much.

<font color="green">what if there are multiple limpers? </font>
This devalues the effect of the poster.

<font color="green">does it make much of a difference if the hand is suited or not?</font>
Some.

<font color="green"> if you have KQo UTG should this now be raised instead of a limp? what if its A9s? how about 88?</font>
KQo I raise anyway, A9s I fold UTG 10-way, otherwise raise, 88 I will raise with a poster but sometimes limp UTG without.
<font color="green">
what about the times that there is a UTG poster and youre on the button, should you loosen or tighten up your raising standards.</font>
UTG poster = rich or foolish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] play accordingly (loosen)

<font color="green"> how loose should you go to if there is a CO poster who hasnt raised?</font>
On the button or in the blinds, I play looser as there is more dead money giving you better pot odds for your cash.

<font color="green">can you limp/raise in with hands that you normally wouldnt with, with a LP poster? what if its a hand like 9Ts that you would play after a limper, could you limp 9Ts UTG with a LP poster? how about weak suited aces? small pairs?</font>
I won't play 9Ts UTG because it's too weak even with a LP poster. Axs I will play depending on how tight/loose the table is likely to be once my bet is in, small pairs similarly.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 AM

If you are in EP or MP and there is a poster in the cutoff, the pot is probably going to be contested multiway. Probably very multiway if the game is loose. Pocket pairs and nice suited hands go up in value, unpaired offsuit high cards go down in value. Which how many hands you should play depends on how many players are likely to enter the pot, how well they play postflop, and how much raising you anticipate.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 AM

limping becomes probablematic because there are lots of players who will raise with almost any 2 cards with posters behind them (trying to blow out dead money). So often times you can get caught playing a marginal hand out of position.

What I will do more often if limp-reraise with looser standards than normal (like AQ or KQ) since there is usually a ton of action behind you.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:54 PM

i have accidentally posted UTG before. i would suggest (online) not assuming a utg poster is bad.

-Barron