Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:19 AM

Default How do I get rid of \"Automatic Updates\"?

The automatic updates are definitely good, but this stupid thing keeps coming up by itself once every few minutes saying the comptuer will restart in 5 minutes unless I want to do it later. If I choose to do later, it comes up again in a few minutes saying it will restart in 5 minutes unless I want to do it later and so on. I can't get rid of it. It's the yellow shield with the exclamation point in the bottom right of the task bar. I don't mind restarting, but I'm doing something and I'm away from the computer every once in a while and I don't need it to restart. I can do that a little bit later on my own. Anyway, right clicking on the icon in the bottom right brings up no menu, it simply opens up the thing again asking me to restart. What the hell?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: How do I get rid of \"Automatic Updates\"?

This is the bane of SP2. I don't think there's anything you can do. I'm sticking needles in my Gates vodoo doll each time this happens, but still, i think you just gotta restart.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:10 AM

It did it to me a while ago too when I was playing online. I quite soon after and restarted. When I did so for some reason my Norton firewall did not start and so I restarted the computer again and all was OK. I've had this happen with Norton's once or twice before and if you just try to enable it, it doesn't seem to work necessitating a restart.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 AM

Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Properties. Then click the Automatic Updates tab and select an option other than Automatic. You need to be on top of downloading and/or installing them yourself if you choose another option though.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:21 AM

Though it probably isn't much of a risk if you are careful where you surf and what you open attachment-wise, auto updates from MS and from Norton's or whatever other virus/spyware service you have are to protect you from urgent threats just identified. But MS's software updates certainly aren't urgent.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Though it probably isn't much of a risk if you are careful where you surf and what you open attachment-wise, auto updates from MS and from Norton's or whatever other virus/spyware service you have are to protect you from urgent threats just identified. But MS's software updates certainly aren't urgent.

[/ QUOTE ]Sometimes they are, which is what I meant by "keep on top it." If you're going to turn the updates off Automatic you should keep aware of when a critical update is going to be released. Perhaps I was a little too vague.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The automatic updates are definitely good, but this stupid thing keeps coming up by itself once every few minutes saying the comptuer will restart in 5 minutes unless I want to do it later. If I choose to do later, it comes up again in a few minutes saying it will restart in 5 minutes unless I want to do it later and so on. I can't get rid of it. It's the yellow shield with the exclamation point in the bottom right of the task bar. I don't mind restarting, but I'm doing something and I'm away from the computer every once in a while and I don't need it to restart. I can do that a little bit later on my own. Anyway, right clicking on the icon in the bottom right brings up no menu, it simply opens up the thing again asking me to restart. What the hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a reason why you couldn't just restart? problem solved.

I absolutely do not recommend turning off auto updates. I set mine to automatically install at 3:00 am to avoid interferring with my normal hours.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

don't disable it, just set it to notify instead. it won't ask to reboot until you manually authorize their installation.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM

I think the setting is somewhere in your policy. run gpedit.msc and look at local machine, administrative.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:02 PM

Yes, set it to notify when there are updates. Or, set a time to update when you won't be busy playing poker... when the computer might be idle.