Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:44 PM

Default $55: turn play confusion

I have no read worth mentioning this early.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t1175)
Button (t590)
SB (t235)
BB (t1680)
UTG (t995)
UTG+1 (t1065)
UTG+2 (t1037)
Hero (t1053)
MP2 (t1165)
MP3 (t1005)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t135) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG calls t80.

Turn: (t295) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t275</font>, Hero...
Old 11-28-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: $55: turn play confusion

You don't really have much of a hand at this point. There's a ton of stuff that beats you, and 13 outs at best. Fold it.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:03 PM

Insta reply function.....

You are up against a made hand. Lots of outs, but is it worth chasing? No. Fold this time around and this early would be Slacka's advice.

Good to see you posting! See you in February.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:07 PM

Why did you bet the flop?

I think checking is much better here. It allows you to win a much bigger pot when you do hit your draw. The pot is small so taking it down now doesn't help too much.

I would fold the turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you bet the flop?

I think checking is much better here. It allows you to win a much bigger pot when you do hit your draw. The pot is small so taking it down now doesn't help too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet the flop? I disagree with the idea that 135 chips aren't that helpful. I'm up against 3 opponents, two of whom have suggested they don't like their hands enough to bet this raggedy flop. Betting gives me a chance to take it down now and it often buys me the button and a free river card if I so desire. It also disguises my hand when I hit on the turn.

I'm comforted to see everyone thinks the turn is a fold. I did fold, but I took way too long to come to that conclusion so I figured I'd post.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:42 PM

Flop bet is ok. But preflop = definitely a leak.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 PM

Actually, now that I think about it I agree that you will pick up the pot enough times on such a raggedy flop. My default line is to check here. I will think about it some more.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:22 AM

Well played. I also like betting the flop for sure. I think folding the turn is correct though I must admit I often do something stupid here and I gotta get better at folding here.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:39 AM

Well, I wouldn't limp preflop from that position and doing so is likely to be costing you money even if you are an expert postflop player.

Having done so, your flop bet is interesting and I like it.

On the turn your opponent has 2 pair an enormous percentage of the time. If you would fold TP/OESD getting slightly better than 2:1 and closing the betting action, why would you call with TJs preflop getting slightly better than 2:1 at the time with players to act behind you?

I say if you autocall preflop, you should autopush the turn. You rate to have 11-15 outs and you stack him virtually every time you hit. Plus, sometimes the obvious read will be wrong and you will actually be ahead.

FWIW, I fold preflop and fold the turn only if my preflop call was a misclick. If I'm drunk and gambooling, I happily limp preflop and push the turn if he leads. My point is that the play of the hand is incongruous.

Irieguy
Old 11-29-2005, 05:41 AM

I'd have folded preflop, but okay, with how the hand has developed so far. Flop bet is good, deceptive and hides your hand very well, especially as the obvious draw is the flush one. The turn meh. Maybe a push but not exactly the most pleasant situation. I mean there's no way he has QJ here so you're safe on that score, he may have a set but I'm not sure I see him flat calling a set on this flop, nor checking it for that matter. So it depends how much you want to gamble it up.

Ah, having just read Irie's post, I guess he says the same. Doh.