Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Wasting Aces...

You didn't waste your Aces.

You took down a pot of t140, 7xBB, to increase your stack 13%.

That's fine ... much better than losing your whole stack. Believe me, every day I see donks limping or flat calling small raises because they're desperate to get action on their Aces and then calling of everything on horrible flops.

Aces are highly over-rated with deep or semi-deep stacks. Most often all you have is an over-pair - while you're giving incredible implied odds to your loose opponents.

Be happy with your pot and move on.

Best,

McMelchior
Old 12-29-2005, 04:05 PM

I actually would raise more here, hoping to make the chip leader think you're stealing. I wouldn't mind a flat call if it was just the 2 of you in the pot, but the presence of the 3rd player is really bad for you sandwiched between them.

Imagine you flat call, and now the EP player calls (with great odds). You've added 70 chips to the pot, and now have to play the hand OOP. Flop is all 1 suit, you've given the SB a free look at the flop, and the EP guy over 2-1 and position.

Instead make a huge raise (you pick up 120 chips if they all fold), and maybe 1 of them chases you thinking you're making a play.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't waste your Aces.

You took down a pot of t140, 7xBB, to increase your stack 13%.

That's fine ... much better than losing your whole stack. Believe me, every day I see donks limping or flat calling small raises because they're desperate to get action on their Aces and then calling of everything on horrible flops.

Aces are highly over-rated with deep or semi-deep stacks. Most often all you have is an over-pair - while you're giving incredible implied odds to your loose opponents.

Be happy with your pot and move on.

Best,

McMelchior

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I know I am guilty, especially early in a tourney, of getting greedy when I get aces and try to make tricky plays instead of just raising. If you take the pot down, as you say, it's not the end of the world as you've added a nice portion to your stack.