Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Trying to fold an overpair

Live 30/60 game, 6 handed at the moment. I should have a good image. Folded to a TAG CO, who I'd say plays in a typical 2+2 style, who raises. Button folds, too loose SB calls, I call with T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Flop comes down 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check, CO bets, SB calls, I raise. CO 3bets reasonably quickly. SB rechecks his cards and folds, I call.

Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I donk, he raises quickly again, I 3bet in tempo, he pauses for a minute, looks at me quizzically, and calls.

River is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check with the intent of folding to a bet.

Questions:
Am I just spewing on the turn?
Is it worth the bet on the river?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Trying to fold an overpair

Well in regards to the subject, you will never ever fold an overpair in a blind steal situation unless there is a four flush or four straight on the board. Even then you get called down frequently.

I think the three betting the turn is just a little too much. Its not rediculous though.....
Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 PM

I rather check-raise the turn than donk/3bet because if you get 3 bet on the turn you can know for sure your hand is no good.

Plus the c/r line on the turn is best because if you catch your straight/flush on the river, you can check-raise again.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 PM

I like a bet/call here. If your opponent was pushing hard w/ overcards or an underpair he'll be hard pressed to raise you again unless you are beat or he is a gangster. On the river it's read dependent when you miss. I'd like to say I'm disciplined enough to fold since you are almost for sure beat but lately I've been calling. Obviously a flaw in my game
Old 12-22-2005, 07:29 AM

Say your opponent has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Then you have 46% equity, so you're not really losing much by putting in lots of bets on the turn, if there's any chance you can get him to fold an overpair. I think the donk bet/3 bet line is a bit too suspicious though. Why not check/raise and 4 bet?

Personally though, I don't recall when I last tried to make someone fold an overpair heads-up. It works like never. Maybe it's a bit different live.