Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 AM

Default I always knew Clinton wished he was Hitler!

Clinton Plays Dictator
Old 12-21-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: I always knew Clinton wished he was Hitler!

jesus...you're already primed and standing in line to drink the kool-aid, aren't you...

people like you make me laugh - did GWB and the talking points memo give you the proper way to wipe your ass too? I just figured since you just repeat everything they say verbatim, without any sense of logic whatsoever or understanding the logic why we SHOULDN'T be torturing people, and since you're incapable of making arguments with any teeth whatsoever except for your Nazi puppet argument, that they would have to hold your hand on this too - cause after all, spewing Republican Talking points and wiping your ass go hand in hand....hopefully not the same hand, but if so, no biggie - I didn't wanna shake it anyways.

Let me guess - start at the bottom and sweep right - LOL

I've given this post the respect it deserves - and probably more then it deserves - it should be locked as redundant as another thread below it is much more insightful and focused on REAL discussion of the issue of unauthorized search/seizure as done ILLEGALLY by monkey-boy.

RB
Old 12-21-2005, 09:03 AM

If Bush suggests universal health care, will Repubs go along with it since Clinton did it first?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:07 AM

Clinton authorized spying without warrants on Americans, which was executed by Gorelick. I wonder what the liberals will say once they realize that presidents of both parties have been authorizing these actions for years.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clinton Plays Dictator

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank goodness for cut and paste, since the wingnuts love this false point so much that it is popping up in multiple threads.

[ QUOTE ]
From Drudge Report and links below to sources:

Bill Clinton Signed Executive Order that allowed Attorney General to do searches without court approval

Clinton, February 9, 1995: "The Attorney General is authorized to approve physical searches, without a court order"

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see what the order actually says, shall we?

[ QUOTE ]
Pursuant to section 302(a)(1) of the Act, the
Attorney General is authorized to approve physical searches, without a court order, to acquire foreign intelligence information for periods of up to one year, if the Attorney General makes the certifications required by that section.

[/ QUOTE ]

That certification is one that the search "is solely directed at premises, information, material, or property used exclusively by, or under the open and exclusive control of, a foreign power or powers".

In other words, these are FOREIGN searches, and routine compliance with FISA by Clinton, rather than the "we're-at-war-so-the-law-is-what-I-say-it-is" lawlessness of the Bush administration.

Indeed, the different attitudes of the administrations are readily apparent. Let's go to Gorelick's actual testimony and see what our right-wing friends have left out, shall we?

"Second, the Administration and the Attorney General support, in principle, legislation establishing judicial warrant procedures under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act for physical searches undertaken for intelligence purposes. However, whether specific
legislation on this subject is desirable for the practical benefits it might add to intelligence collection, or undesirable as too much of a restriction on the President's authority to collect intelligence necessary for the national security, depends on how the legislation is crafted."

"As I stated earlier, we believe that existing directives that regulate the basis for seeking foreign intelligence search authority and the procedures to be followed satisfy all Constitutional requirements. Nevertheless, I reiterate the Administration's willingness to support appropriate legislation that does not restrict the President's ability to collect foreign intelligence necessary for the national security. We need to strike a balance that sacrifices neither our security nor our civil liberties.

If we can achieve such a balance -- and I believe we can if we use the basic provisions of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act -- we can accomplish a number of things. First, we will reaffirm our commitment to democratic control of intelligence functions. Second, by mirroring the FISA process including the involvement a neutral judicial official, we will remove any doubt from the minds of reasonable persons concerning the legality of these searches. And finally, we will also provide additional assurances to the patriotic individuals who serve this country in intelligence positions that their activities are proper and necessary."

Soooooo, let's recap. The Clinton administration supported bringing physical searches under the FISA umbrella, and when Congress did so the Clinton administration complied with the law. The Bush administration acknowledges that the law prohibits what it is doing but claims that it has the authority to unilaterally nullify any law that it dosen't like, secretly, because we are at "war". [howie mandel]Equivilant, or not equivalent?[/howie mandel]
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Who said anything about hitler? WTF are you talking about?

Clinton never turned the United States spying aparatus against his own citizenry. Neither did Clinton.

Clinton never turned the spying aparatus against his own citizenry. What King George is doing is UNPRECEDENTED and ILLEGAL. Try to get that through your Hitler-loving brain.

Drudge has no credibility. He provides a cheat sheet of lies and misrepresentations for the right wing radio hosts.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clinton never turned the United States spying aparatus against his own citizenry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Niether has Bush. He is going against terrorists. Maybe you overlooked that bit. Maybe you overlooked that there is a War agaonst Terror going on. You are so engrossed in the politics of attacking Bush, you overlook these things.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:06 AM

I seem to remember something about Clinton getting FBI files on his political opponents. That is the Law enforcement apparatus, though, not intelligence gathering. Maybe my little unnuanced mind can't see the differences.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 AM

The war on terror is not an excuse to trash the constitution.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to remember something about Clinton getting FBI files on his political opponents. That is the Law enforcement apparatus, though, not intelligence gathering. Maybe my little unnuanced mind can't see the differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

One big difference is that Clinton was going after his political opponents, while Bush is going after terrorists that want to kill Americans.

What a HUGE difference in motivation.