Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: bluffing with a set

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hi mike,
I don't think open limping is necessarily wrong, but I never do it at 6 max. I also almost never limp behind a single limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? I overlimp often, but I wont open a pot with a limp. Sometimes there aresituations and hands worth isolating theplayer, but oftentimes you just want a multiway pot imo..

[/ QUOTE ]

yea my play recently has been including a lot more overlimping than i used to, now that my post-flop play is a little better, especially w/deeper stacks
Old 12-17-2005, 03:05 AM

I overlimp on the button alot but not really from any other position
Old 12-17-2005, 04:24 AM

Not trying to be rude, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you see this as good. It's a limped pot against two opponents on a draw heavy board that connected multiple ways. Maybe against one opponent.... maybe...
Old 12-17-2005, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be rude, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you see this as good. It's a limped pot against two opponents on a draw heavy board that connected multiple ways. Maybe against one opponent.... maybe...

[/ QUOTE ]
several ppl have mentioned it's bad cuz i'm against two players, and i acknowledged that it might be harder to get 2 folds rather than just 1. however, the flip side of it is that by betting into two players, it must seem to them very unlikely that i'm bluffing? against just one player i think a 9 might even snap me off more often because my play looks more suspicious now. anyway, i never claimed this was good.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:09 AM

"3-6 online"
i like it.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
several ppl have mentioned it's bad cuz i'm against two players, and i acknowledged that it might be harder to get 2 folds rather than just 1. however, the flip side of it is that by betting into two players, it must seem to them very unlikely that i'm bluffing? against just one player i think a 9 might even snap me off more often because my play looks more suspicious now. anyway, i never claimed this was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree that it's unlikely one of them has a flush (obviously), BUT against most opponents online I don't like this. Perhaps with a better read against 2 opponents it's possible, but I'd just wait for a better spot on this board. The effort is good though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 04:55 PM

I'd just check. A straight will call, but not bet. A higher set might call but not bet. A low flush will call but might not bet fearing a higher flush. A big flush will go all-in over the top of your bet and you'll probably have to call with whatever you have left just on principle ($100 more in a huge pot).

I think you just need to check it down and hope nobody has a 4, a 9, a higher set, or 2-spades.

I think the best line on the river is to check it down.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think open limping is necessarily wrong, but I never do it at 6 max. I also almost never limp behind a single limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why you'd raise or fold 66/55/44/33/22 UTG instead of open limping, calling an LP raise, and playing for a set. A hand like AK or AQ (who flop a pair) or TT will often call behind you, call your continuation bet, and generally make life hard for you when you don't flop a set, have a low pair, and you end up having to to fire 2 barrels or more trying to push guys in LP off a hand.

Why is this +EV at 6-max?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:04 AM

you hitting a set and the other guy hitting something he's willing to put a lot of money in the pot with is a very rare occurence in shorthanded poker.

no one with AK/AQ whatever is making life hard for us when an ace flops, as I'm not firing indiscriminate multi street bluffs out of position. they win a small pot when they're ahead and lose a big one when they're behind if they decide to see a showdown.

the one thing that really hurts you raising small pairs up front is when your opponents play well enough to blow you off your set draw pf by rerasing pot. most opponents in 3/6 and below shorthanded games do not.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:34 AM

He played his hand like a flush draw. How sure are you that a straight even made it? I might just check behind and see what's up. Making a straight fold could be hard, making something worse fold would suck, and making a flush fold isn't happening.