Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-19-2005, 02:22 AM

Default What to do on the river ...

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises </font>...

Comments on all streets welcome, but of course the river is the place where the decision really lies.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: What to do on the river ...

I would just bet/call the river.

What are you doing if he 3-bets your check raise?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:31 AM

Almost purely a metagame decision.

If you've been checkraising much at all, it's silly to go for a checkraise, as opp. may check many many many hands behind on the river that he'd call a bet with.

If you haven't been checkraising at all, a river checkraise is fine.

But it also depends on your opponent. Will he check/call with an 8 all the way til the river? If so, I prefer betting, so you don't need to make a 3-bet decision. If he's really passive, he'll again check a lot of hands he'll call with on the river.

Given this, I probably bet here.

Josh
Old 11-19-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost purely a metagame decision.

If you've been checkraising much at all, it's silly to go for a checkraise, as opp. may check many many many hands behind on the river that he'd call a bet with.

If you haven't been checkraising at all, a river checkraise is fine.

But it also depends on your opponent. Will he check/call with an 8 all the way til the river? If so, I prefer betting, so you don't need to make a 3-bet decision. If he's really passive, he'll again check a lot of hands he'll call with on the river.

Given this, I probably bet here.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome advice, thank you.

I had been showing down well, but very little CRing to this point, as I recall.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just bet/call the river.

What are you doing if he 3-bets your check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling of course.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:34 AM

With no read, I think its better to bet than go for the checkraise since many people will be more than happy to check down their pair/acehigh type hand that they wouldve called your bet with. That said, there are many times I have taken your line on the river with your type of hand(a normal value betting non-monster type hand like top pair or an overpair) when I'm online even if I have no read. It just seems like so many people online love to bet, and all you have to do to make them bet is check, which is why it can be profitable and fun to checkraise the river with the usual value betting hand.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:58 AM

not CRing this spot often is costing you ~1/4th BB.

looks good.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would love to see how you calculated this.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, this is not a good place to check raise. There is little reason to think that he has a hand he wants to bet at all. Had the opponent raised the flop, then called you down after your three bet then perhaps......
Old 11-19-2005, 05:48 AM

I like it. Put your opponent on a hand. He limped first in. Ok, no strong ace, no broadway. We're looking at a low PP or some suited connectors. The PF saw one raise. Flop is 8 high and he just calls. Many opponents raise such a low TP because they won't be TP for long. Turn is a T. Still just calling. Could be on a str8 draw with 56, could still have he 66, may have just hit 9T. River is an 8, nice low card he knows missed you. You check. What is he gonna think? "OMG he has AK. 55 is GOOD!!!! BET BET BET!" We are only worried about hands with an 8. We beat all other 2P hands. He doesn't have any other trips. We also allow him to bet 56 in the vain hope that you fold.