Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-06-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Wild Satellite situation

Stars PCA satellite. 9 seats up for grabs. With 18 leftI'm in around 4th place. Brandon Schaeffer on my left is around 9th. In 5 minutes 4 guys go out all on the other table when the big stack starts pushing and hitting everything. We're down to 14 and he has 150K with everyone else between 10 and 40. Blinds are 500/1000 i think when i make araise with AQ and the button reraises me. He has me covered and i fold.Well now this guy starts pushing every hand. probably 75 hands in a row, and nobody will call, but we all start going down fast and he's got a monster stack. THe other table starts folding around and trading blinds and we're still 3 from making it and it looks likethey will all come from our table. I'm in good shape, but when the small stacks start calling and some of them doubling I could get in trouble. Sure enough with 11 left I'm in 9th place and I have AJ, and around 18K.

What is your plan here. do you wait for a monster, hope someone will go out? I'm really afraid i will wait so long that i won't have much left to play with if I do have to make a stand.

Pretty weird situation.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:53 AM

Default What i did

COverd this in the other post but I folded the AJ, but it was now obvious that no one would be eliminated on the other table. 2 guys were actually sitting out, and the big stack had stopped pushing anyone around, the small stack had doubled once and everyone had us covered. So if everyone kept folding I was going to be bubble boy in 10th. THere were still 11 left, but I didn't see the logic in waiting until he took his shot, because i was going to have to anyway, and if i waited until i had under 10K, doubling wasn;t going to be great either. I chose A6 mostly because i wanted an Ace, and I'm pretty sure i was last to act. My A6 held up and suddenly I had 4 guys below me. I never played another hand. I folded QQ and AK in the same orbit, Brandon went out with TT when the maniac had QQ, and then the poor student from just down the road disconnected and we watched him blind off.

Strangest situation i've ever been in,and i wish i had played the AJ the orbit before, but I'm going to the BAHAMAS baby!!
Old 11-06-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: What i did

Congrats David, glad to see you made it through.. Satellite situations can get really complex taking everything into account, really hard spot when you're not quite assured a spot, but there are other people behind you. Now you can rep. burlington, can't believe there's another person on here from bulrlington!
Old 11-06-2005, 03:17 AM

You had 10 BB on that A6 hand so given you knew he was pushing any two (he was) it wasn't a good call. Glad it worked out, though.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 AM

so how low would you let yourself get, or how good a hand do you want to have?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:58 AM

This is kinda complicated...first, you figure out your chances of folding in from here (if you are 10 of 11 it's basically the odds of a shortie slightly ahead of you finding QQ+ and going broke) before you bust - let's say they're 50% to make it really simple. Then, you take A6 vs. a random hand (55%-ish.) That makes it mildly +EV to call in a vacuum, but you know he'll push every hand from this point out. Assume you get unlucky and have one 60% vs. random hand in the next 12 with 6 at your table - you are trading a 55% chance of 20 BB with 12 hands and a 60% chance of 16 BB, both of which make you the non-short stack.

Or, you just eyeball it and say 'I'll pick up a > A6 hand in the next few orbits so I'll fold', whichever.