Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: My personal theory of what went wrong in NO

[ QUOTE ]
The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army were kept out by the troops surrounding New Orleans. I don't know why but George Bush is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Go in -- you lose. Don't go in -- you lose.

Police lost control. Their was shooting from the "stranded" residents. If he goes in and they take fire, they have to shoot back -- so he's guilty of killing blacks. He doesn't go in until backups arrive -- he's guilty of neglecting blacks. You saw the footage of the grocery stores being emptied -- it didn't look like anybody was going to starve. What would you do? Walk into a gun fight?

Answer. The whole thing had nothing to do with blacks. It had to do with a city that has been out of control for decades.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army were kept out by the troops surrounding New Orleans. I don't know why but George Bush is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Go in -- you lose. Don't go in -- you lose.

Police lost control. Their was shooting from the "stranded" residents. If he goes in and they takes fire, they have to shoot back -- so he's guilty of killing blacks. He doesn't go in until backups arrive -- he's guilty of neglecting blacks. You saw the footage of the grocery stores being emptied -- it didn't llok like anybody was going to starve. What would you do? Walk into a gun fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

But the International Red Cross operates in several areas with similar danger levels, so if they are willing to take that risk, shouldn't they be allowed? (not meant as a rhetorical question)
Old 09-03-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You saw the footage of the grocery stores being emptied -- it didn't look like anybody was going to starve. What would you do? Walk into a gun fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would let the aid agencies go in if they felt safe to do so. There were reporters there the whole time and none of them were shot. Don't keep aid agencies out and make a bad situation worse.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:38 PM

They should definitely be allowed in. In a few interviews with military officers today, they said there were many less shootings then reported. If Harry Connick can walk the streets untouched, I'm sure Red Cross should have minimal problems.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:39 PM

go post AM

I haven't and will no read all but a few of the reponses as the level on retardation on this board is intolerable at the moment so you mave have covered some as this earlier.

I think you are on to something but not quite there. From my limited knowledge it appears much of the confusion and chaos stemmed from a lack of communication between the state/local and federal authorities.

I think that at the beginning State officials tried to run operations using the federal government as a resource. This resulted for example the Federal Government making available to the State resources like food,water and man power but without the Federal government actually putting them into action. The problem was that the State government simply was not capable for many reasons of effectively using all of those resources. Thus many things went unused and people suffered.

I think at first the Federal Government was unwilling or hesitant to seize control and turn the managing of the crisis over to the one organization skilled and experienced in operating wide spread life and death crisis situations. As you stated the US military.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:43 PM

one other thing about my reply.

I'm not trying to either blame the state officials nor trying absolve the Federal Government.

I think there were mistake made at all levels but I also no not think there were know men in back rooms curling their mustache's.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:57 PM

It's been stated above but I'll say it again.

Immediate control was at the local level. NO and LA politics have been hugely corrupt for decades, no secret there. There was no good leadership and chaos ensued quickly.

Contrast this with the aftermath of 9/11 (admittedly not as wide of scope as this disaster). Guliani had things under control. Bush and the federal government were footnotes the first few days of that tragedy in NY.

If NO had had a strong mayor, or Louisiana a strong governor, things would have gone much better.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's been stated above but I'll say it again.

Immediate control was at the local level. NO and LA politics have been hugely corrupt for decades, no secret there. There was no good leadership and chaos ensued quickly.

Contrast this with the aftermath of 9/11 (admittedly not as wide of scope as this disaster). Guliani had things under control. Bush and the federal government were footnotes the first few days of that tragedy in NY.

If NO had had a strong mayor, or Louisiana a strong governor, things would have gone much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one thing NOLA PD knows how to do it is control a crowd. They have a nice little 100K people drill for 2 weeks before Ash Wed. every year. I've been there, there is nothing like it and they do a very good job.

It was completely apparent late Monday night when the levee broke there was no way ANY local police force in the world could handle the situation. There was no jail, no central command and they were outnumbered by a huge number. 1/3 of the force was MIA on Tuesday night.

What was needed was National Guard on the street, enmass, and localized policing of shelters. Bush and the LA gov failed here completely and things got rapidly out of hand.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:11 AM

It was up to the LA governor to request troops. I didn't see or hear from her in the media, and it seems she made no decisions at all for a couple of days.

If nothing else, she should have immediately recognized the fact that she was out of her depth, and called for federal aid.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was up to the LA governor to request troops. I didn't see or hear from her in the media, and it seems she made no decisions at all for a couple of days.

If nothing else, she should have immediately recognized the fact that she was out of her depth, and called for federal aid.

[/ QUOTE ]

She did call for aid on Tuesday in both press conferences and a personal call to Bush but that is beside the point.

Bush declared on Friday a 'Federal Emergency' thus giving (and charging) the Feds with jurisdiction.

No matter what happened in No and LA, FEMA still has not responded to Biloxi and the other MS affected communities.