Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 AM

Default What next?

Ok, so I'm pretty much a beginner (bout 3 months play) and I've read and re-read TOP and I am now picking out individial chapters & passages to make sure I fully understand them, mainly the later chapters. I found TOP an excellent book, especially for a total newbie, as it laid down everything I needed to know, as well as things I would probably never have thought of myself.

I am now looking for which book(s) to progress to next? I have Hellmuth's book, but have not found it particularly useful yet. I almost exclusively play NL, but pretty much micro stakes at the moment, 0.10/0.20 and 0.25/0.50 are the tables I usually play. I also play plenty of tournaments and have a reasonable amount of success, cashing in many of them. My ring game seems not too bad as well, I am consistently a winning player at the table, although I realise that my game is far from what would be considered great, or even good!

I am aware of HoH, which would interest me as I do play a fair number of tourneys, but I also hear good things about SSH and of course Super System. As SS2 is now out, does this make SS1 not worth getting? Is a lot of the material repeated/updated in SS2?

What are the strong and weak points of each of these books, and any others I should consider? What are their styles, and rough content? Any help would be appreciated, I'm really looking to improve my game now. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: What next?

1) SSH is a limit hold 'em book that wouldn't really help a NL player, especially one who's already read TOP.

2) Doyle pretty much cut and pasted his NLHE section from the original Super/System into SS2. Since the rest of the book contains either archaic games or outdated advice, I'd skip it if you're planning to get SS2 anyway. Doyle's advice is still excellent. With the exception of the Pot-Limit Omaha chapter, the rest of the book is at least good.

3) Now, Harrington on Hold 'em...I cannot say enough good things about this book. It is an absolute must-read if you want to improve as a NLHE tournament player at any level. I picked it up last week at the Gambler's Book Store while I was in Vegas, and I had it read before I got on the plane to go home. And I'll probably read through it again at least once before the end of the month. The information on bet sizing alone was worth the price of the book.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM

Ok, that's really helpful information, thank you. I did not realise SSH was a limit poker book, so that is good. I did have HoH in mind, so now I just need something to help me with ring games/my overall game.

What about HEFAP? I think someone told me that was a limit book too. I know many of the concepts are similar or the same, but i would rather read a NL book and not have to consider the subtle differeces myself...

I hear Daniel Negreanu is bringing out a book soon? Any idea when? And any info on the content? I would be very interested in this book, as he is one of my favourite players...

Anyway thanks for the help, anyone else got any suggestions/advice?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Yes, HEPFAP is aimed at limit players. I would recommend Ciaffone and Reuben's Pot Limit and No Limit Poker.