Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Pushing Jacks Preflop

[ QUOTE ]
I also probably just call and take a flop, or wouldnt push, but would place in a healthy raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which leaves u pretty much pot comitted....why put urself in the position to make a mistake post flop
Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 AM

There is a concept that has been discussed in this thread that I have a bit of trouble understanding.

It is that one of the reasons to push is that you dont want to make a mistake if an overcard comes on the flop. Is this reasonable because you expect AQ type hands to fold? Do you think any of the villains in this hand hold AQ and will fold? Will they call holding AK?

I would just like this line of reasoning explained. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is that one of the reasons to push is that you dont want to make a mistake if an overcard comes on the flop. Is this reasonable because you expect AQ type hands to fold? Do you think any of the villains in this hand hold AQ and will fold? Will they call holding AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is that if the flop comes, say, K95 you're in a bad spot. You're (potentially) out of position, in a fairly big pot, and you don't know if you have the best hand.

If you check, you risk letting your opponent take the pot away from you by betting a worse hand. If you check and your opponent holds TT, well, that flop looks pretty good to your opponent - he will bet it.

If you bet, you risk running into a king.

By pushing preflop, you remove any chance of being outplayed or misplaying your hand postflop. You don't have to worry about falling into these tricky situations.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:50 AM

You don't have to worry about dealing with tricky flop, turn and river decisions - but only because you have put your entire stack on the line.

I guess I am mainly thinking about a confrontation with AK. I assume AQ or worse folds to the push. In this situation I think the preflop action may mean that you are up against lesser pocket pairs in which case the push is good.

I guess I just want to understand when to push Jacks because it isnt something that I would have considered doing before. (I play 25 and 50NL full ring though)
Old 11-28-2005, 06:19 AM

You have position. If you push and get called pre flop you are beat. I dont mind seeing a flop here in position. Take a flop and see what the other guy does before you put your stack in would be my play. Pushing all in because you dont want to make any decisions is not a good reason IMO.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also often I pull the smoothcall of an shortstack all in after a preflopraise with a monster hoping for an isolation reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I like to give it a shot too, it's a sweet play. That's why I'll be happy not to see you on my tables any time soon [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-or does he just call, hoping that OP will re-push, and he can possibly take down a very big pot, either allin preflop against 2 worse hands, or after the flop if it comes down rags

Obviously, the latter route would require UTG to be a rather thinking player, and have a read that OP was aggressive enough to re-push with hands like JJ/QQ/AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG was a thinking player I don't think he'll pass up a a limpraise here, OP made a standard raise, nothing to suggest a huge pocket pair, and he got the reraise and multiway action he would want with AA
Old 11-28-2005, 10:09 AM

This is totally standard. Pot big. Hand vulnerable.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am mainly thinking about a confrontation with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take JJ over AK all day and all nite. We are favored there you know. Plus, with all the action, it it likely that if someone held AK another player held Ax making our edge even larger.

[ QUOTE ]
You have position. If you push and get called pre flop you are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we don't have position. If we call the shortstack push preflop, and CO calls, he has position on us. And, given the preflop action in the hand, it's doubtful that CO or UTG has one of the three hands that are better than us, QQ/KK/AA.

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally standard. Pot big. Hand vulnerable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Thanks for a nice thread guys. Some good comments.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 PM

i like it
the beauty of jacks is that they proportionally ream AK/AQ
plus utg ain't calling
everyone and their momma knows he ain't calling