Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Is this just bad luck?

This isnt bad luck this is poker!

A9 on the BB or SB is very profitable for me (according to poker tracker SS 40,000 now).
Your other bets and calls are real weak, with 4 to a str8 ur in real rough shape, and you should have recgonized that the running 10s counterfitted and outkicked your hand (a 5 is the lowest playable kicker). Keep at it, play tighter preflop though, your getting yourself into trouble with some of your preflop play.

Playing AK and hitting 2 pr is great because its nearly impossible to get screwed by an additional board pair but playing K4 and 2 pairing a board is asking for trouble...
cdl
Old 07-28-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do people really fold A9o on the button in hand 2?? that's either a raise or call for me. even w/ 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good number of poker books (SSHE in particular) specifically mention A9o as not worth playing ever. I'll very occasionally limp with it on the button depending on the table, I won't hate someone for folding it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i certainly dont 'hate' anyone for folding it. i think it's just a difference in style and they way people play. i'm LAGier than many here I think, especially n00bs. just curious.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do people really fold A9o on the button in hand 2?? that's either a raise or call for me. even w/ 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

never is a strong word, but i can't think of a situation where i'd limp A9o after 2 limpers. if the limpers are horrendous and the blinds are tight i will raise. otherwise this is a fold. playing A9o 4-5 handed is just not good.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's table dependent, I have a hard time playing it when I don't have a good feel for what my opponents are limping with. Sometimes I get weak-tighties limping w/ AT offsuit, 99 or other hands they should raise and sometimes it's limp w/ any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

PT tells me i've had it 288 times w/ a vpip of 68 and a pfr of 44. I've won 116 BB w/ it. but i play a lot of 6max, which certainly screws these numbers up some. Once again, i think it's just a variation in style.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:12 PM

thanks for all the replies. i agree i should be playing tighter preflop, but im really unsure of how much tighter. I've just bought WLLH and SSHE so i should get a better idea of what i should be playing. thanks everyone.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's table dependent, I have a hard time playing it when I don't have a good feel for what my opponents are limping with. Sometimes I get weak-tighties limping w/ AT offsuit, 99 or other hands they should raise and sometimes it's limp w/ any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

PT tells me i've had it 288 times w/ a vpip of 68 and a pfr of 44. I've won 116 BB w/ it. but i play a lot of 6max, which certainly screws these numbers up some. Once again, i think it's just a variation in style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would raise A9o on the button here. I wouldn't change what you've been doing, irish.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:37 PM

You'll hear this from other people, but WLLH, though not a bad beginner's book at all, will tend to make you weak-tight. If you can, you might want to take it back and pick up GSIH instead. It's very well written and will help your play tremendously. It's also a great lead-in/first step towards SSHE, which is more an intermediate/advanced book.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would raise A9o on the button here. I wouldn't change what you've been doing, irish.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2 limpers in full ring, raising A9o is certainly -EV compared to just calling.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2 limpers in full ring, raising A9o is certainly -EV compared to just calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does calling compare to folding then?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:41 PM

what is GSIH? i've not heard of this one