Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: reads

[ QUOTE ]
So no one folds this on the flop when it gets back to you capped?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to pry the cards out of my cold dead hands.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-27-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: AK too much action

What he's saying is that 3-betting when the third heart falls with something like AJ or 88 takes a very aggressive player. The same kind of aggressive player that would cap AQ on that flop. So even a 3-bet doesn't necessarily mean we're behind. At least that's what I think he's saying.

Also, a flush isn't very likely from SB since he bet out into the pf raiser. SB would have to expect Hero to raise here, knocking out callers that his flush draw would want.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What he's saying is that 3-betting when the third heart falls with something like AJ or 88 takes a very aggressive player. The same kind of aggressive player that would cap AQ on that flop. So even a 3-bet doesn't necessarily mean we're behind. At least that's what I think he's saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I want to open the door for an aggressive player with a better hand to 3-bet me in the first place? If he's aggressive enough to cap the flop, let him continue to bet his AQ into me. Why am I trying to slow that one down? But if I raise and get 3-bet, I *KNOW* I'm beat (with a very high level of *KNOWING*), but I'm still going to call to try to catch a river heart. It doesn't make sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, a flush isn't very likely from SB since he bet out into the pf raiser. SB would have to expect Hero to raise here, knocking out callers that his flush draw would want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried about the flush. I think hero is behind when the flop gets capped.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:54 PM

Looks fine. Without the heart draw, I'd fold against a timid player, but call down most everyone else. Against a timid player, you're most likely facing a set. Two pair is possible, but timid players won't cap with this, especially with a flush draw.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:59 PM

As per Ed's SSHE book, you often have to play defence on the turn and river with AK... i think your play was correct.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Aaron,

Who cares if we are behind here? The point is that a passive player will rarely 3-bet unless he has a flush (and a passive will not cap the flop with a flush draw). He will not 3-bet us with AJ or 88 when this turn card falls down since he will fear a flush or AA or JJ. If he is aggressive to 3-pop AJ on this turn, I'm saying that there is a good chance that we are ahead here. And by your logic we should fold the river UI since his flop cap means that he can beat top pair....... are you folding this river UI for one bet in this big pot? Didn't think so.

Brad getting too drunk to post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Results

CO had AK, SB had A8. For the comments on raising the turn I would like it if I thought it would not be 3-bet which I think there is every indication it would be.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Grunching

The only part of the line I really question is the call on the turn -- you now have a strong draw to the absolute nuts, plus TPTK. Your pot equity is definitely way better than average. Getting even one other player to fold on the turn would increase the odds of TPTK holding up, so I would raise the turn to protect your hand.

There is a moderate chance that someone could have 2p or a set, but given that no one re-rasied you PF (and then that they didn't raise on the turn), I think you're looking ok.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron,

Who cares if we are behind here? The point is that a passive player will rarely 3-bet unless he has a flush (and a passive will not cap the flop with a flush draw). He will not 3-bet us with AJ or 88 when this turn card falls down since he will fear a flush or AA or JJ. If he is aggressive to 3-pop AJ on this turn, I'm saying that there is a good chance that we are ahead here. And by your logic we should fold the river UI since his flop cap means that he can beat top pair....... are you folding this river UI for one bet in this big pot? Didn't think so.

Brad getting too drunk to post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you're too drunk or I'm too sober.

I still don't get it. Call-call lets me see the showdown for 2 BB. Raise runs into the distinct possibility of paying 3 BB to see the river. CO may be drawing against me, but there's a good chance I'm drawing against SB, so I don't care that CO is hanging around. I don't htink there's a good chance I'm ahead. There's enough of a chance that I call down, but not enough that I want to get frisky with it.

You're looking at a minor win/tie/major loss situation. The minor win is knocking out CO when he's drawing to 3 outs against you (making a call that has a very thin profit margin, though it's clearly profitable). The tie is when everyone just calls the raise and the river checks through (no gain and no loss). The major loss is when you get 3-bet by SB. At this point, you're almost certainly behind and you lose money on the round because you don't have enough donks padding the pot for you to call it an equity raise.