Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Time to push AK?

30+3 Party MTT, aprox. 1,500 entries with 1,300 remaining. About 30 minutes in, haven't played a hand yet. Blinded down to around 940 chips, UTG get AKo. I raise it to 100 (BB is 20), UTG+1 makes it 500 (has about 2k stack) to go, folded around to me. I don't think he has AA or KK as his raise doesn't entice me to call him and it really "feels" like a 99 - QQ kind of raise. My view is that the vast majority of the time I'll be no worse than a coin flip at this point and could be dominating AQ/AJ or he could be trying to snatch my 100 plus the blinds (unlikely, but possible).

In the past I would fold this hand without much thought. My recent experience in these 1,500 player tournies has been I get to within 50 spots of the money and don't have much to work with, have to push and get knocked out. I've been playing tight early and trying to use my "skills" to beat the hordes. As that strategy hasn't worked thus far I decided to take my chances here and pushed. Thoughts?