Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Stepping Down In Stakes....Valuable?

Ive been running insanely bad at the 5/10 tables...to the tune of 200BB. Ive been lucky enough to have never had a losing streak this long before, all the way up from 50c/$1
which caused me to feel lost, confused and very unsure of myself whenever I made a play.

So I decided to take a breather, and step down to 3/6 where Ive crushed the games for the past week and have found them suprisingly much much softer then what I remember them being. But I still dont feel ive accomplished anything by beating the 3/6 game which I KNOW I can beat. A winning 3/6 player doesnt necessarily equate into a winning 5/10 player...does it?

I guess the questions im trying to get at are...

Should I have just plugged away at the 5/10? I have more then enough bankroll to sustain myself even if this slide continues.
Am I causing a regression in my game by playing 3/6 which will adversely affect me moving back to 5/10?
Is there honestly a big difference between 5/10 or is it all in my head?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Stepping Down In Stakes....Valuable?

Not feeling confident is devastating to your game. If you want to step down for a while, you should. I don't blame you.

I do see a difference between 3/6 and 5/10. I suggest you keep playing 3/6 and work in a table of 5/10 here and there. Post some hands and look for leaks at both levels. You'll be fine.

NT
Old 09-06-2004, 10:26 PM

I don't remember too well, but if memory serves 3/6 is more passive.

I don't know...200 BBs is not exactly the end of the world, but confidence vanishing is.

step down.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:33 PM

I definitely recommend dropping back down temporarily. The 5/10 full games are noticeably tougher during the day than the 3/6. At night time they soften up real nice though. But during the day go back down, regain your confidence. Playing without confidence sucks.

Also, I dont think anyone who wins > 1BB/100 at 3/6 would be a losing player at 5/10. Your winrate might drop but I highly doubt you would actually be a losing player. So blame it on variance, and adjusting (both to the stakes, and the players).

Moving up and having this happen, can actually be GREAT for you game. When I went to 5/10, I was pretty stubborn about dropping back down. I was a net winner but suffered a -160BB downswing and finally decided that it couldnt all be bad luck (technically it could be but I wasnt trying to kid myself). But it highlighted some of my leaks. I eventually went back to 3/6, did a lot of tinkering with my game, and I am currently attacking the 6max 5/10, and the full games at night (I do stay away from the day games, like I said earlier). I feel like I am much improved player from where I was 2 months ago.

My 2 cents
Old 09-06-2004, 10:42 PM

IMO, there is significant difference between Party 5/10 and Party 3/6. I am assuming this is what you mean.

biggest things is that game selection sucks at p 5/10, and the aggression level is higher. It is much easier for me to play drawing type hands preflop for one bet at 3/6. Players tend to play a little better postflop at 5/10.

I think stepping down is fine, and think you should reload and try again. I have jumped back and fourth around 6 times. I am currently playing a mix. I will play 5/10 if the games are jucy and available. If not I play 3/6. I have come from 50c/1 over the past year as well. I am finding that 5/10 is a common wall to struggle with... Keep plugging away.