Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Need Strategy to Beat Hyper-Aggressive Player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You get dealt a pocket pair between every 16 and 17 hands, and against a maniac you have the whole table working against one player.

I generally sit this one out and only call with extremely large hands to his crazy all-ins. I consider myself a solid player and I don't want to reduce my equity edge to a AK vs J9 64/36 type of situation. You're ahead, but 36% chance to win a hand is large enough to make you see red when they hit their cards and you don't. I'd rather profit off people's mistakes where they have 0-20% chance to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This means that if you saw your opponents cards and he went all in with A2, you wouldnt call with KK? Getting your money in as a favorite is what makes you a good player.....

[/ QUOTE ]

There's so many factors out there, that it's easy to say "LawL mAsTeR Lj, ur a neWb-e fer Playin' so tite 'ginst a maniak."

To answer your question, yes I would call. KK is a huge hand. I'd put that maniac in his place (75/25), or shrug it off if he outdraws me.

There's really three situations you look for when you're all in pre flop:

1. Higher pp than your opponent (80/20)
2. Same high card, higher kicker (AK vs AQ) (75/25)
3. pp over your opponent's kicker, or pp over both your opponent's cards (75/25 and 85/15 respectively)

Anything else gives your opponent a significant chance of winning. 32-48% is nothing to scoff at, and yes you *may* be at an advantage but your goal is to not only get your money in with the higher chance to win, but to get it in a spot with the highest chance to win. There's no urgency in NL cash games. If you don't lik the smell of a situation, wait for a better spot. This could mean folding a fantastic hand... I'd rather be in the driver's seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, NL cash games are better places to make barely +EV plays than tourneys. I agree with everything else you said though.