Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Default First hand \'read\' leads to 2nd hand extra $$

Play any of these differently?

I'm posting results to hand 1 so that you can see the stupidity of my opponent which leads to my play in hand 2.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

I called here because I was afraid bb was a total bluff and wanted button to come along. if I raise, button might fold, BB might fold and I win no extra money. Plus I have the NUTS.

River: (9.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

SB actually called my river bet with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I made a mental note that he is an idiot and went on to the next hand.

Hand 2:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

bad raises? or standard against this opponent?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: First hand \'read\' leads to 2nd hand extra $$

Against this guy I play it the same way. NH
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 AM

The way hand #1 played out should show exactly why it's better to raise the turn:

1. The guy behind you may well fold for one bet anyway, so "not shutting him out" is a moot point in many cases. The A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is the scariest card in the deck for many hands he could hold.

2. The SB fish could call down even when he has basically nothing.

Not raising also sucks when a river [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] totally kills your action.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:33 AM

I don't raise the river in hand 2, what do you guys think of that? Is that weak, stupid, smart, what?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:03 AM

In hand 2, i'll put villian on "random hand", and you're ahead of a random hand, so I see no reason not to raise.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:00 AM

Keep raising hand two...nice aggression
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Hand 1: Chances are raising on the turn has better value than going for overcalls and a river bluff. Sane players are folding for 1 when the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hits, and some players will call 2 with a lone Q anyway.

Hand 2: This one is pretty close I think. His idiocy in Hand 1 most likely stems from the fact he just wants to see a showdown for whatever reason.

In hand 2 he is actively betting into you after you have raised, so I think the river raise is marginal. I can't fold to a river 3-bet against this erratic player, so if he has me beat it could cost me 2. I probably just call on the end, but I think raising is very close.