Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: bdk3clash
y 62 44.60%
n 40 28.78%
o 37 26.62%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Do you have the odds to call? (Question 1)

This is the first in a series of questions I'll be posting about calling various streets based on odds and player reads.

Question 1
You are in a $1/2 limit game.

It is heads up and you hold K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The board is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

There is $6 in the pot and your opponent has bet $2.

Assume your opponent will only bet when they have a made hand. If a scare card comes, like the third to a flush, they will fold and not pay it off.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Do you have the odds to call? (Question 1)

I voted no. Why?

The odds against hitting your hand are just over 4:1 and the pot is offering 4:1. There are no implied odds since we know he'll fold to the flush card. So, no call. That doesn't mean I'd fold either.

I would seriously consider raising since this guy seems to offer greater than normal fold equity. Additionally, since I have no implied odds with this guy, I want the money in now - before the scare card comes.

Regards,

T
Old 05-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Depend on what made hand your opponent holds. I'd say you have odds to call against the range of hands that bets here, but it's close. Neither choice here is very wrong.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:00 PM

Heads-up against an aggressive player you have some implied odds. Say he has QQ and the river is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I can see that earning you at least 1BB on the river in the long run, probably closer to 1.5
Old 05-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Well since your decisions is based on player reads and the only read you give is about the river payoff it is kind of a hard question (like pf action, flop action,position of the villian in relation to the blinds).

But against a range of hands, HU, I would make this call. He could have less than top pair and your KJ are live (but discounted). All you are looking for is breakeven odds to call.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:02 PM

If a scare card comes, like the third to a flush, they will fold and not pay it off.

So a "scare card" like a 5, 4, 3, or 8 will allow a bluff on my part to take the pot?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heads-up against an aggressive player you have some implied odds. Say he has QQ and the river is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I can see that earning you at least 1BB on the river in the long run, probably closer to 1.5

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, judging by the information given I was assuming this was not an aggressive opponent. I sure see your point that if he makes a set and I make a flush, he's going to pay me off (assuming you meant Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]), but I think it's a very thin profit in the long run. That is, there's a very slight chance of him improving enough to pay off my flush given the description by the OP.

That's why I wanted to make my profit now on the turn. Some scenarios:

<ul type="square">[*]I call, flush card comes, I bet he folds. I make 1 bet.
[*]I raise, he calls, flush card comes, I bet he folds. I make 2 bets.
[*]I call, flush does not come, he bets, I fold. I lose 1 bet.
[*]I raise, flush does not come, he bets, I fold. I lose 2 bets.
[*]I raise, he folds. I win 1 bet.[/list]I think the fold equity of this situation make a raise just slightly better than a call.

This assumes I have discounted the outstanding kings as outs by putting him on an Ace.

I agree with Kurn's statement that's it's close either way. It may be so close it doesn't really matter whether you fold, call or raise. I expect there's a flaw in my logic somewhere above, so please point it out if you see it.

Regards,

T
Old 05-17-2005, 02:47 PM

I see it as very simple. At this point, you have nothing. The pot is only offering you even money, so a 35% draw is not worth it...fold.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see it as very simple. At this point, you have nothing. The pot is only offering you even money, so a 35% draw is not worth it...fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're folding 35% ($2.80) of the pot, which is more than the $2 to invest to see the river. Plus you are putting your opponent on Ace, two pair or a set only and negating lesser hands. I think you're thinking far too weak-tight.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:59 PM

I would rather be in the driver's seat...semi bluff betting, than putting my chances on a draw. I would rather go all in with a flush draw and try and make my opponent fold, than call with a flush draw just to win even money.

- Jim