Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 PM

Default KQ in unraised pot

Seat 3: hero ($24.60)
Seat 7: villain ($7.80)
Hero posts SB of .10

hero [Qc Kc]

villail limps for $0.25, along w/ 4 others. hero calls .15 BB checks

not gonna raise a marginal hand like KQ oop. its bad for business

[K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] <font color="red"> 1.75 </font>

hero bets $1.70 BB folds Villain calls $1.70
folds around.

everybody OK w/ this bet?

TURN [9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] <font color="red"> 5.15 </font>

hero bets $2.50
Villain Calls $2.50

how about this bet?

River [Js] <font color="red"> 10.15</font>

hero checks
villain bets $3.35, and is all in
hero calls $3.35

i felt like i had to call this getting ~4-1 on my money.

Results in white:
<font color="white"> Villain slows KJ </font>
Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: KQ in unraised pot

Looks like you just have to lose there, I don't think you have a choice on how you played it. With the board as coordinated as it is, I think you must bet on the flop and the turn...when he calls the flop I am immediately thinking Flush Draw! ditto for him calling the turn. On the river, why did you check? The board pairing is actually a good card for you, and if you were going to call his push (as you were getting about 4-1) why not move him first? At least that way you eliminate the possibility of a bluff on a busted draw by him (even if you were going to call). I can't find much fault in the way you played it, he made a very risky play by not raising on that board and ended up doubling. Oh well.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the river, why did you check?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was actually putting him on the busted flush, and wanted to give him a chance to bluff at it. which now i realize theres very little chance hed bluff because the pot is so big and he cant expect to get enough fold equity by pushing. i think either way he was getting the rest of his stack in regardless of if i bet or not.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the river, why did you check?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was actually putting him on the busted flush, and wanted to give him a chance to bluff at it. which now i realize theres very little chance hed bluff because the pot is so big and he cant expect to get enough fold equity by pushing. i think either way he was getting the rest of his stack in regardless of if i bet or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

because short-stacks are idiots and love to hit the "All-In" button just like on TV. I think it is fine. I would bet 3 on turn just so you can be guaranteed of getting all of shorty's money. I don't mind the river-check and of course you call. Sucks you lost to a FH but you will eventually win lots of money from short stacks w/ one pair.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:34 AM

Against a short stack, I suppose your line is fine (Although personally I would either check the turn or set him in, your line is fine)

I think the more interesting question is, how do you play it if villian starts hand with $25?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the more interesting question is, how do you play it if villian starts hand with $25?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would love an answer to that question