Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Yahoo article about NYC crackdown

In case anyone is interested:

"Authorities say the clubs, along with evading taxes, could be funneling tens of thousands of dollars to drug traffickers or mobsters. The sizable cash flow is certain to entice armed robbers, police said. "

Yahoo Article
Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Yahoo article about NYC crackdown

Isn't this just a re-hash of old news?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:55 PM

this is actually a very significant thread that alot of people should be reading. everyone knows these poker clubs are mafia related because they are illegal businesses. police departments might be attacking these small poker clubs to attack mafia-related businesses, not because they care about poker being illegal. its very plausible that poker money is adding to drug trafficing and if thats the case then the NYPD actually has substantial reasoning for raiding these clubs.

i dont know too much about the mafia other than whats seen in the movies, but some of my family grew up in some poor neighborhoods in nyc. they have explained to me that these nyc poker clubs are mafia-related because if you run an illegal business in nyc the mafia is going to come to your doorstep and tell you that you are going to give them a portion of your earnings or they are going to make you an offer you cant refuse. the illegal poker clubs have nowhere to turn to because the police wont protect them so they pay the mafia for their protection and end up becoming a contributor to alot of other serious illegal operations without really having a choice.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Gross speculation is soooo 1997.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:17 PM

"an offer you cant refuse" thats kind of funny [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Listen this is the same argument the DEA makes about weed funeling terrorist groups its moronic at best.
There tyring to "justify" there raid's. The fish markey, garment district, sanatation and a dozen more of NYC top imports and exports are all "family" owned yet they dont get busted up...figure that out first...

As for the Mafia, theres no such thing, just a group of guys helping them selves and there families and cutting a few corners here and there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM

Please tell me this response was a joke..
Old 11-21-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not a joke. This guy has excellent credentials that he cited in his post:

1. He has seen movies about the mafia
2. He has family from poor neighborhoods in New York
3. They explained all this to him

If that's not a credible witness, I don't know what is!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:12 PM

[soapbox]
TSMDB... I can tell you a few things for sure:

1) The mafia that you see in the movies and on TV doesn't exist. There is/was a "mafia", but its 99.9% white collar now and usually not violent.
2) Poker rooms run in NYC are considered organized crime because they are run as businesses. There has not been a known tie to "the mafia" or organized crime as you and I know it yet, nor will there be. I have 4 friends who are owners in various businesses and none of them are connected, nor have any of them ever been shook down (actually this is their 3rd biggest fear, luckily shakedowns are all but extinct in the past few years in NYC).

In closing, the future of NYC poker is

1) No more tournaments. Thats what hurt the game in the first place, many rooms will reopen in the future with cash games only.
2) Bigger limits - no more low limit games. Bigger limit players don't cause the problems that the lower limit players do because they have more to lose
3) More rooms than ever before, but with only 2-4 tables at most. The entire scene will become fractionalized and small, just as it was in the 70's. That will be the most important factor for survival.[/soapbox]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 PM

Wait a minute... there IS a connection between card rooms and the mafia because I've been watching The Sopranos and they are always playing POKER!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not a joke. This guy has excellent credentials that he cited in his post:

1. He has seen movies about the mafia
2. He has family from poor neighborhoods in New York
3. They explained all this to him

If that's not a credible witness, I don't know what is!

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that your username is benny blanco from the bronx takes this post from a good post to an awesome one.