Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Just started 3/6 and I am on a 150 BB downswing.

I was beating 2/4 after 35k hands at like 2.5BB/100. I recently won a step 5 tourney and had the bankroll to move to 3/6. For the last 1500 hands I have lost 150+BB. Now, this has scared the crap out of me; I don't know if I should take some time off and re-evaluate my game or move back down to 2/4, or if I should stick it out at 3/6. I know a 150BB downswing isn't huge but it just seems to never end. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not showing my PT stats for 3/6 because I donno how helpful they will be after only 1500 hands. If you want to see them regardless, just ask and I will post them. TY.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Just started 3/6 and I am on a 150 BB downswing.

well you definitely arent losing 10BBs/100 from poor play. variance obviously has a gigantic roll here. i understand what you mean by the downswing feels like its never going to end. every time you logon you figure the odds will even out but it only gets worse. this swing wont tell you much other than that youve been unlucky. however, its probably a good idea to move back to 2/4 for at least a week before coming back. mix things up a lil.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:57 PM

Congrats on your step 5 win, however, becareful that it does not make you overconfident and start playing like a moran.

It sounds like you just hit a run of bad cards, but also when you move up the limits you might be playing scared while you adjust. I would suggest going back to 2/4 until you start winning again, then take another shot at 3/6.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:39 PM

It's probably just a coincidence. It's the same game. You still see people playing any ace, right? You still see routine cold calling, right? You still see people failing to protect TPGK in multi-way pots, right? As long as you still see these things I wouldn't worry about the level being out of your "league."
Old 05-08-2005, 01:43 AM

TPGK?

Never heard that one before.
Top pair good kicker?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TPGK?

Never heard that one before.
Top pair good kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Instead of top kicker, something like AJ or AQ on a A83 flop. A lot of bad players will protect TPTK but they fear the worst and just call with TPGK even though it's essentially the same hand.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:48 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Why do you think we recommend 300-500bbs?

It's not to cover living expenses.

Try gradually moving up. You don't have to just jump right in to 3-6. Say you normally play 4 tables of 2-4. Switch one or 2 to 3-6. Ease into it.

b
Old 05-08-2005, 05:26 AM

well that's actually what I have been doing I play 2 2/4 and 2 3/6.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:00 AM

i signed up for rakeback, and after having a 3+bb/100 over 35k hands i promptly went on a 200bb downswing. this month i've played rarely, but am at 9bb/100 over 2k hands which is a huge relief. i've gotten over every irrational belief, PARTY IS RIGGED, RAKEBACK SUCKS, etc...and am now trying to concentrate on making the correct plays. it'll only last for so long, so stick it out. replay some hands and see what OPPORTUNITIES you're missing, or jot down some marginal situations you'd like to avoid. or just stay away to regain focus, because once that 100th or so bb loss, it takes a better man than me to not chipspew with AKs UI into a family pot.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Will, this happened to me, and happens to a lot of other people.

A couple of things: Although you have the bankroll, you may not have the experience. Yes, you earned the $$, but you got a lot of it in a quick hit step tourney. It'd almost be like playing at a 15/30 table and going on a rush, and getting your roll that way.

3/6 is going to be slightly tougher than 2/4. I recommend playing 1 or 2 tables, instead of 4. Or, if you're going to multi, open each table after getting a feel for 1 table. I think its going to be more important to learn a little bit about your opponents, as opposed to 2/4, where all you had to do is play good hands and bet the heck out of them.

I'm a stud player though, so what do I know.

Poker sux when we're on these downswings. It seems like all we do is lose the big pots, and win the small pots. Aces cracked, missed draws, sets busted.. Everything goes wrong. Take a few days off, reread your books, and come back with a positive attitude.