Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 07:54 PM

Default How do you max this rivered FH against probable flush?

$5 PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1190)
UTG+1 (t1460)
MP1 (t1230)
MP2 (t1610)
MP3 (t1850)
CO (t1460)
Button (t1690)
SB (t1510)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t40</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t40, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t20, UTG calls t20.

Flop: (t170) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t160</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t160, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t490) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets t80</font>, Hero calls t80.

River: (t650) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

Accepting criticism on the turn play as well if you disagree.
Thx.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: How do you max this rivered FH against probable flush?

I'll take your cue - the turn play is questionable. I would expect the villain to check through if he hit the flush even though some players do indeed slowplay with small bets. However, I think the weak bet looks like a lame attempt to see if you will fold a better hand on the flush threat. Therefore I would raise. Assuming you are ahead on the turn, and given the river is more likely to put you behind than keep you ahead, the better play is to bet out to protect your hand rather than check-raise. You will probably have to fold if he comes over the top though.

Now to your question. If he has a flush you should get all of his chips on the river no matter if you bet-reraise or check-raise. If he has no flush, then is he more likely to bet out when you check, or is he more likely to call your value bet? I think you are better off with a value bet given that he seems passive.

Just my two cents.