Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: LA Poker Room advice

WOW thanks for the lesson. In your ninteenth post why dont you explain the meaning of life so that I know what it is for idiots.

Greg
Old 12-14-2005, 03:48 PM

being new to the board make me less credible?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
being new to the board make me less credible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes because you have apparently read none of the extensive discussion of why these games are so beatable, how "small stakes holdem" established how to very easily beat these games, and you don't undersand why a pro might prefer making 1.5BB an hour at 20-40 to making 4BB an hour at 3-6.

The only issue with making money at low limits is the rake, and even then you can make money, you're just paying too much of it to the house.

Oh, and here is how to read your opponents at low limits. 95% of the time they call they have a crappy hand and are hoping you are bluffing or they'll hit miracle runner runner by the river. The other 5% of the time they are slow playing their "monster", top pair decent kicker or bottom two pair.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:49 PM

I don't know why people keep arguing with you. It was apparent from your first post in this thread that you're a nit that doesn't fully understand poker.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and here is how to read your opponents at low limits. 95% of the time they call they have a crappy hand and are hoping you are bluffing or they'll hit miracle runner runner by the river. The other 5% of the time they are slow playing their "monster", top pair decent kicker or bottom two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH sir.

Basically, low limits in Los Angeles are beat by creating volume. You are not looking for soft games. You are looking for games with 7-8 loose players(ie most weekend low limit games at Commerce), who will call with hands that have zero or next to zero chance to win. In that manner, you may only have the 2nd or 3rd best hand to start, but even those will show a profit because so many others are playing so loose. And in the situations where you do have the best hand, you can raise freely, there by creating huge volume. You do not need to put opponents on hands as often since the pots will be so huge that you *have* to call with a very wide range of holdings.

The reasons pros eschew these games is that #1.) The amount you win....even if you make 1.5-2 BB per hour, is not that much, #2.) The variance is huge.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:58 PM

People play 15/30+ for a living because they can make more money. $30/hr vs. $18/hr. Which would you prefer?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't undersand why a pro might prefer making 1.5BB an hour at 20-40 to making 4BB an hour at 3-6.

The only issue with making money at low limits is the rake, and even then you can make money, you're just paying too much of it to the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for being the first person to raise an intelligent argument on this thread.

It's amazing that so many refrain from discussion on a "discussion board."
Old 12-14-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's really no such thing as a soft 3-6 or 4-8 game in LA. They are all showdown games and suckout-o-ramas. It's not so much that you have to be lucky. It really boils down to not being UNLUCKY. More often than not, even the 25-50 games play like 2-4.

For the experience of what a poker rooms should be...Commerce is a must visit.

For a very comfortable relaxed environment with a decent class of ppl...Hustler is great (pretty much my home base).

For typical wild LA poker with some less than savory patrons feel free to hit the Bike, Normandie, CP, Hollywood Park or Hawaiian Gardens.

Don't get me wrong...I play at all of them on occassion, but I only bring my SO to Commerce or Hustler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on his first comments, don't listen to any advice this poster gives.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4/8 at Commerce is a crazy donk fest

[/ QUOTE ]

I always table change to the cap every street game.

Most profitable by far...

don't forget to buy in for 100BB
Old 12-15-2005, 01:57 AM

"you can make money, you're just paying too much of it to the house"

If you buy in for $200 and cash out $400, you have made $200. (2+2 DOES =4) It doesn't matter if you paid $5 in rake or $400 during that session. (see 2+2=4)

If i played 2000 hours of 20/40 this year and made $40,000, did I really make $68,000 but payed $28,000 in rake? No!

Let's keep it simple, let's keep it real, let's keep it real simple:

2+2=4