Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 PM

Default QQ hand

Pokerstars 2/4 4 handed

Literally my first hand at the table (so I have $400 and villain covers)

I am BB with QQ. CO limps, Button (Villain) raises to $12, SB calls, I reraise to $50, only Villain calls.

I've played with villain before, he seems decent but not great postflop (usually pretty aggressive), preflop he tends to raise a bit often and usually raises too little (ie, 3xBB with 2 limpers)

anyways...

Flop ($110): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, villain bets $24 (wtf?), I call

Turn ($150): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $90, villain calls

River ($325): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I....?

(I have like $230 left behind)

River move?

What about flop/turn play? I felt lost throughout this entire hand (except preflop)...

thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: QQ hand

Check/call the river if you think villain will bet/bluff with a worse hand but fold to a bet.

Check/fold if you think villain only bets with a Kx or better (flush, full house, etc).

Ordinarily a blocking bet might be good, but any kind of blocking bet with this $325 pot (i.e. $75 or $100) just about pot commits you to call a river min-raise or even a push with what little you both have left.

FLOP: I would led the flop for $75 to represent the K and shut down if I got called (indicating villain either has a K himself, or has a K beat, or is calling to a flush without good pot odds).

OR if I check/called the flop like you did, then I'd continue to check/call the turn and river unless villain makes a big enough bet to convince me that he really does have the K or better.

People usually don't mess around for a lot of money on a paired board like this after a raise and re-raise preflop unless they have at least trip Ks. So, I think you should announce "I have the K" on the flop, and give up if he calls to reply "I don't care."
Old 12-17-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FLOP: I would led the flop for $75 to represent the K and shut down if I got called (indicating villain either has a K himself, or has a K beat, or is calling to a flush without good pot odds).

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I would check a K there? I check this flop OOP with a lot of holdings, if I had AA I would almost certainly check. I guess I'm trying to keep the pot small in a WA/WB situation when I'm OOP.

Of course, on the turn there's 2 flush draws, and villain can have anything that he called preflop with. Diamonds certainly seem reasonable here, his weak flop bet could be diamonds trying to pick up the pot w/o commiting a lot of money. Which is I guess why I wanted to bet the turn, didn't want to give a free card.

Problem is it leaves me in this akward river spot, and I'm not really sure if he'd bluff missed spades here, or whatever. Given his small flop bet and turn call though, I think his most likely hands are a flush draw, a K, maybe a mid pair (TT) or whatever
Old 12-17-2005, 07:18 PM

*bump*

Is this hand more basic than I am making it out to be?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:33 PM

I agree with leading the flop for 75 and shutting down if called.

[ QUOTE ]
I check, villain bets $24 (wtf?), I call

[/ QUOTE ]

I see people do this with trips. They don't really want to check and not build the pot or give a free card, but they don't want to scare you off either.

It looks like it worked too since you led out on the turn. He is content with calling and building the pot since it's 4/1 to the flush.

What does he have preflop that he raises, calls your raise, then bets on that flop that you beat? 99-JJ?

I would have check/folded the turn. As it is, especially since the flush gets there, I check/fold the river.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:53 AM

I think I check/call the small flop bet, check/call a small turn bet and block on the river. We are either way ahead or way behind unless you put him on a flush draw. But his flop bet is a bit odd regardless, no? A CR here rather than waiting 'til the turn may buy us info and save some grief on later streets.
Did you bet the turn as defense for the flush draw(s)? If so- it got there, so maybe check/fold the river is the right line now.