Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Top pros and their strengths/weaknesses

Here are some things I've noticed in the games of these top pros by watching them play on TV. I'm not claiming they are 100% accurate, only mere observations. I'm curious to see if anyone else has made similiar observations.

Phil Hellmuth: his weakness is his tilt threshold which is very low. Also, his egocentricity is a big weakness. He tends to think nobody else at the table can play. Consequently he tends to think everytime he gets beat it is a bad beat, when it really isnt. He seems to expect to win every hand he plays, which in poker is impossible. His strengths are his ability to put players on hands and react accordingly, and his ability to make a huge laydown.

Sam Farha: He plays some questionable holdings, especially when he has alot of chips. He is easily bluffed out on the river even with considerably good hands, especially if the board becomes scary (i.e. Chris Moneymaker). His strengths are his hand reading ability and also being unreadable due to the high volume of hands he plays.

Howard Lederer: the guy is so intelligent I imagine he 2nd guesses himself alot. He seems to be so internally focused that he may miss what may be the simple and obvious play, especially against amateurs. His strengths are his ability to make good decisions, as well as his ability to bluff effectively.

Erik Seidel: seems somewhat bored with playing poker, as if he has lost the joy of the game and is just working. His strengths are his game consistancy, seemingly unaffected by short runs of luck, and his overall strategy.

Phil Ivey: very few weaknesses, except for a subtle tendancy to steam after a bad beat, although it usually passes after a couple hands. His strengths are his ability to make good decisions and adjust appropriately to other players styles.

Layne Flack: highly likely to bluff too often. His strengths are his heads up play, his hand reading and his ability to bluff effectively. His strengths sometimes backfire when other players set traps for his fast style of play or when they play back at him with nothing.

Dan Harrington: possibly too tight, not getting excess action. Strengths are hand selection and likelihood of succeeding with a big bluff.

Doyle Brunson: likes to take control of the pot and the table. Uses the all-in move very often. Not necessarily a weakness. Can be trapped more often than others. Strengths are ability to use excess chips and create a firestorm that can run over the table.

TJ Cloutier: seems like he's on a very long run of bad cards. Seems too willing to go broke on marginal hands. Doesnt seem to pay too much mind to what other players hold. Strengths are overall tournament strategy.

Chris Ferguson: another egocentric person, his weaknesses are few, if any.

Men Nguyen: higher than average tendancy to gamble.

Daniel Negreanu: higher than average tendancy to play small suited connected cards. Strengths are excellent overall strategy and hand reading ability.

Johnny Chan: less than average tendancy to bluff. Ability to bet marginal hands for full value. Occassionally can get trapped. Strengths are ability to vary game and adjust to opponents (i.e. vs Erik Seidel in wsop)

If you have any additional comments, feel free to add.

-J
Old 10-19-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Top pros and their strengths/weaknesses

here is my observation of you -

you have no [censored] clue what you are talking about.

I'm not claiming this is 100% accurate, only mere observation.

If you have any additional comments, feel free to add.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:22 AM

you just might be the best troll ever
Old 10-19-2005, 03:23 AM

this is probably the worst analysis of the pros i have ever read. how the hell are you qualified to write this?
un real

just check barry's site to get the real down low.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is probably the worst analysis of the pros i have ever read. how the hell are you qualified to write this?
un real

[/ QUOTE ]

lol since when does anyone have to be "qualified" to make a post on here. Also, what kinds of "qualifiers" would you deem acceptable? I was just posting some observations. If you dont agree, I would appreciate you post some of your views on these players, if you have any, rather than just sarcasm or insult.

Daryn- what happened to the color flash on your avatar? It was usually the thing I looked forward to most from your posts.

-J
Old 10-19-2005, 06:04 AM

Don't listen to those other hating posters justin. I think you put some effort into your analysis and don't deserve to get ripped like that.

And i love the guy that say how are you qualified? You never said you were. You were stating an opinion you were forming through television. Thats there favorite line.

I agree with most of the stuff you said but too tired to go through all them now. Just thought you deserved to hear from someone who apreciated your effort. And ignore those guys. They just want to make people feel miserable because there not happy.

Anyway keep up the good work! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't listen to those other hating posters justin. I think you put some effort into your analysis and don't deserve to get ripped like that.

And i love the guy that say how are you qualified? You never said you were. You were stating an opinion you were forming through television. Thats there favorite line.

I agree with most of the stuff you said but too tired to go through all them now. Just thought you deserved to hear from someone who apreciated your effort. And ignore those guys. They just want to make people feel miserable because there not happy.

Anyway keep up the good work! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoothcall, don't listen to the flamers who say you're a complete idiot who never has anything worthwhile to post. It’s just an opinion. You don't deserve to get ripped on like that.

And no one said you were qualified as an English professor, but if you were, you probably would've opted for "they're" when saying "That ' s there favorite line."

Also, I for one DON'T believe you and Vincent L are gay lovers. That's merely hearsay. At most, just two diversely opinionated metrosexuals who are as footloose as they are fancy-free.

And as for the originator of this post, here is what I find to be your weakness (excluding your obvious enjoyment of Paul Phillips): You put way too much time into this post. You can't exactly critique tables from the 15 minutes we get of ESPN coverage. Also, Layne Flack's weakness might be his excessive drinking at the table. Men Nyguyen: he's a goddam cheater getting a % from his lackeys. Chris Ferguson: his gf is hotter than anything I'll ever get.

Any additional comments, don't add.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam Farha: He plays some questionable holdings, especially when he has alot of chips. He is easily bluffed out on the river even with considerably good hands, especially if the board becomes scary (i.e. Chris Moneymaker). His strengths are his hand reading ability and also being unreadable due to the high volume of hands he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

You based this on ONE hand you saw on ESPN. Do you really expect people to take you seriously? What makes you think Erik Siedel is bored with the game? How do you know how long Phil Ivey steams for after a bad beat?

Worst. Analysis. Ever.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And no one said you were qualified as an English professor, but if you were, you probably would've opted for "they're" when saying "That ' s there favorite line."

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to correct grammer, you really have to get it right.
-Mike
Old 10-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Even if this is all wrong, I think the pros listed could potentially be interested in reading something like this just because they will face unknown amateurs in tournaments who only know them from ESPN and they might want to know what kind of "image" they have with this type of player.