Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Hoping to take SNG playing to the next level

I agree with what was said earlier. Yes, you know for sure that you can profit the 20's, but you owe it to yourself to make a run at the 30's (100-200 of em would be a good 'test') and maybe later 50s to see where you're at. Not only could you make a lot more money (seriously, investing 50% or 150% more on a similar ROI would be KILLER), but by playing some of the higher levels, your game improves in many other respects. It will be more complete, more deep, and more ready for the next level. Get em tiger

-Kings
Old 03-29-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately my need for material possessions has set my 7K bankroll back some. But this new chair is SO comfy..

[/ QUOTE ]

which one? I need a new chair!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 12:23 AM

You always want to keep learning and you should, but you should never get too comfortable either. It seems reasonable that you consider moving up to the next level.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:37 AM

I've got a more difficult question. I've also been successful in the $20 SnGs, but have only played 285 with a 37% ROI giving me $2100. This gives me a large enough bankroll to move up to the $30s, but not enough data to tell me how well i really am doing. Do I need to wait and play as many games as Rolen to find out my real ROI and if moving up will be profitable?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:50 AM

I think there is often a lot of emphasis on these boards on the idea that no matter how many tourneys you have played your sample is never statistically relevant type of deal. While I think this is normally correct when people post "I have played 20 tourneys and have an ROI of 65% is this sustainable" I think it is taken out of context in a situation like yours. After 300 tourneys I feel like you have a good idea of where you stand. Is your 'real' ROI 37%, probably not but I feel like you are winning and probably missing out on profit in the 30 dollar tourneys. Try inserting 1 or 2 into your sets of games and see how they feel. I would start with them on the weekends and at peak evening hours for the best results as they tighten up considerably during the day.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:24 PM

that was actually really helpful, thanks beeyjay [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 02:32 PM

I'll second the opinion that you should move up as bankroll permits. Most of the proven long-term winners on this forum claim very little difference in skill between the 6's and 33's (although play style may vary some, overskill skill much less) so play what your bankroll permits. If you're not a winning player, you'll bust with any bankroll at any level. If you are a winning player, you almost certainly won't bust if you play the appropriate level.

Slim, who is taking his phatty-phat-phat 10% ROI to the 22's, biatch.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Rolen,

I may be interested in being a mentor, I've been thinking about looking for mentees a bit lately. PM me if you're interested.

I'm most interested in mentoring players in the Chicago area, if any are around. But I'd do internet work probably too.

citanul