Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: What occupations have good short-term memory?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, everyone keeps saying servers (ie waiters/waitresses). I know there was a study done awhile ago about the ability for experienced servers to remember your order exactly and then the second they give it to you it's gone from their brain forever. Does anyone know the name of this phenomenon? I've been searching for a bit now and can't find a single reference to it. I used to know the name and it's driving me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also forget what it's called, but you hit the nail on the head. I'll try to search for the term used for it
Old 12-08-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A court reporter.
A translator.
A signer for the deaf.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are good ones.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:48 AM

I have no short term memory. Years of smoking something... But when I bartended, since it was my livelihood, I could remember every freakin drink order no problem.

The mind is a strange and wornderfull thing.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no short term memory. Years of smoking something... But when I bartended, since it was my livelihood, I could remember every freakin drink order no problem.

The mind is a strange and wornderfull thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats odd, I just had a discussion with my buddy last night, he is a bartender, and we both drink heavily 5 nights a week, we both agreed that our short term memory is completely [censored] up beyond belief.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM

Besides the ones already mentioned...air traffic controller. I looked into doing this (you know, make $80K, be a federal employee, get work in any major city, etc.) You have to remember what runways are open, what flights are leaving, what flights are incoming, where bad weather is, all that...and it's continually changing while you put the puzzle together. Damn. And of course, if you screw up bad enough, people can die.

ScottieK
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM

What was the question?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's as if I ask what the next turn is and decide to ignore the next thing they say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same f'in thing, man. It drives my boyfriend [censored] crazy because he has to repeat his answer like 4 times. It's probably just a mild form of retardation. loling still, because it's so true.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:12 PM

professional p*ker player
Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, everyone keeps saying servers (ie waiters/waitresses). I know there was a study done awhile ago about the ability for experienced servers to remember your order exactly and then the second they give it to you it's gone from their brain forever. Does anyone know the name of this phenomenon? I've been searching for a bit now and can't find a single reference to it. I used to know the name and it's driving me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Booya. Research this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeigarnik_effect
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM

I have a friend in Philadelphia, where I grew up. He was not a good student, and if most of you encountered him, you would probably think he was a great guy, but not very smart. As he was trying to get through college, he started a valet parking concession and was able to get a local restaurant to give him their lot. It was a high-end, popular and busy spot, and the parking lot held about 300 cars.

He ran the whole thing himself, and didn't use tickets. He worked 6 days a week, in all weather, and no one ever had to wait for their car or present him a ticket. He could match the face to the car, I guess. He would watch the restaraunt from the outside, and as he saw patrons getting ready to leave he would go get their cars and have them waiting as the diners exited. He was a valet parking savant.

After watching him for a month or two, one of the restaurants regulars, a car dealership mogul in Philly, took an interest in him. The guy was blown away by how good my friend Mike was at his job. So they became friendly, and about a year later, the mogul brought Mike in to run one of the biggest car dealerships in Philadelphia. Not the most glamorous job to many of us, but an amazing opportunity for a guy who barely made it through high school. He's still there today, and runs the dealership as well as he ran his parking lot.