Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Sit N Go Analysis

I知 developing a program that reads through a given set of my tournament hand histories and writes out an excel spreadsheet where each line item contains details surrounding hands where I am all in. I知 doing this so that I can take a particular days work and find out a few things. One, to find out how often I知 going all in as the underdog and two, to find out if I was lucky or unlucky on certain types of all ins(i.e./ coinflips, 60/40s, dominating hands and over-dominating hands) that day. I致e got most of it complete but I知 having a difficult time with the probabilities for a given situation. What I知 hoping someone can do for me is the following:

If I give you 2 hands in the format just like www.twodimes.net/poker and say hand one is in cell A1 and hand 2 is in cell A2. I壇 like there to be a formula in cell A3 that calculates the probability that the hand from cell A1 wins. If this cannot be done easily, then for each day that I analyze, I will just manually go into the file and place the approximate probabilities for each situation, although I壇 really like it to be dynamic if possible.

For those interested in seeing a sample spreadsheet, PM me your email address, and I値l send a copy.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Sit N Go Analysis

IM, how do you see this benefiting you?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:12 PM

My first guess is that a 169x169 worksheet lookup table of equity would be the best. Can Poker Stove or similar generate this for you?

SlimP
Old 06-16-2005, 05:33 PM

If you are going to this length, is 169 x 169 adequate?

I would think 2652 x 2450 would be necessary? (52x51 times 50x49) That would enable the program to take into account all possible hands, including suit interdependencies (i.e., if you have two clubs, you have a lower probability of getting a flush if your opponent also has two clubs?)
Old 06-16-2005, 05:46 PM

Open source is your friend. Pokersource does all the nitty gritty stuff so you don't have to waste time programming card calculations. And it's pretty efficient too. You can even enter hand ranges and such, etc.

If you're ever working on any interesting programs, drop me a line. Lately I've started writing a few to analyze certain scenarios I've come across, but have a few ideas for more semigeneral things I can do that would be more interesting. I'm always interested in hearing what others are working on.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:48 PM

Eh, yeah it's necessary to get the exact answer, but the computing cost might be high. I think the idea is just to get close here, with a few percentage points one way or the other not making a huge difference in the interpretation. Maybe I just think that way because I have a slow computer.

It looks like I have to "pay" for a "licenced copy of Office XP" to "legally use" the "features" necessary to retrieve data from a webpage.

SlimP
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IM, how do you see this benefiting you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would bring bring a new era of bad beat posts.

"Damn, I have -7.4% luck in my last 100 SnGs"
Old 06-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote from eastbay in this thread.
[ QUOTE ]

Already did something like this awhile back. I called it "EV vs AV" (expected value vs. actual value).

I used it briefly but found soon that it was kind of a super techno pacifier that I would suck on when taking a lot of bad beats. "Oh yeah, look, I am running bad. But I already knew that."

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this sounded familiar.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 PM

Yeah, there's been talks of "luck-o-meter's" before also. Maybe not the most useful thing in the world, but it would be nice to know if you're running hot or cold on your matchups. Maybe you know you're running cold, but sometimes you may think your upswing is based on your skill, but the luck-o-meter will let you know this is above and beyond your skill and into good luck territory.

Of course there's a lot more "luck" than that. There's a lot of components that you can't control that could all fall under "luck", like if you run into AA on the bubble every game for the rest of your life, etc.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:24 PM

Do you have eastbay's program? There is a 169x169 EV chart (in notepad) distributed with the program.