Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:17 PM

Default 1 hand

OK so the situation is this. High Mike is a... well he's not weak tight but hes not super agressive either. hes a kinda of trappy player as well. So my read on his 2x BB raise is BE WEAR although i took a cheap flop hoping to flop a monster and double up. And voila a monster hand i get. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Although he usually bets 2x BB with monsters and his check post flop SCREAMED strength so i started to tread lightly. maybe hes got AA or KK in which case im gold. But i feel worrisome.

Texas Hold'em $2-$2 NL (real money), hand #1,423,423,617
Table EGeezy's HE, 31 Oct 2005 09:08 PM

View Previous hand for this table.

Seat 2: m0rr1s [3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($283.20 in chips)
Seat 3: HIGH_MIKE ($287 in chips)
Seat 7: varunchanrai ($101 in chips)
Seat 8: M._McDermott ($43.80 in chips)
Seat 10: jonnyz3 ($44.50 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
jonnyz3 posts blind ($1), m0rr1s posts blind ($2).

PRE-FLOP
HIGH_MIKE bets $4, varunchanrai folds, M._McDermott calls $4, jonnyz3 calls $3, m0rr1s calls $2.

FLOP [board cards Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
jonnyz3 checks, m0rr1s checks, HIGH_MIKE checks, M._McDermott checks.

TURN [board cards Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
jonnyz3 checks, m0rr1s checks, HIGH_MIKE bets $5, M._McDermott calls $5, jonnyz3 calls $5, m0rr1s bets $20, HIGH_MIKE calls $15, M._McDermott calls $15, jonnyz3 calls $15.

RIVER [board cards Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
jonnyz3 checks, m0rr1s checks, HIGH_MIKE bets $25, M._McDermott folds, jonnyz3 folds, m0rr1s calls $25.

SHOWDOWN
HIGH_MIKE shows [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
m0rr1s shows [ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
HIGH_MIKE wins $143.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally think that I lost almost the minumum I could in this situation. What do you thinK? I raised after his 5$ bet to see if he actually had a hand or not. I think if he had AA, or KK he would have rereaised me to get flush and straight draws out after the turn but he called also screaming strength to me. Although i lost a bunch of $$ i still think the call on the end was the correct play. Could anyone lay this down? i dont think i could EVER to the tightest player on earth. I lost the minumum i think i could have and im very pleased with myself. and my read.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
Dealer: M._McDermott
Pot: $146, (including rake: $3)
m0rr1s, loses $49
HIGH_MIKE, bets $49, collects $143, net $94
varunchanrai, loses $0
M._McDermott, loses $24
jonnyz3, loses $24
Old 11-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: 1 hand

Let this be a lesson to everyone to bet their monsters. In any case, I hate your turn check/raise. Just bet the turn.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 PM

high mike is an idiot

the pot is like 90 on the river and he bets 25 .....be glad that people like to "trap"
Old 11-01-2005, 01:25 PM

I think both of you need to work at extracting with your monsters.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:30 PM

Why do you hate the check raise?

well now that i think of it it's probalby not the best move here. Betting out will (if he has AA,or KK) give him alot more opportunity to raise. getting check raised may limit the pot at this point if he gets worried i have a 3. hmmm. possible. BUT if he does have AA or KK and these other 2 idiots in the pot calling the 10$ check raise. isnt that what you want to do to idiots like that? charge them the most u possibly can when they have the worst hand? Alot of weak opponents feel they MUST call a raise if theyve already put $ in the pot.

Why do u think a check raise is bad?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you hate the check raise?

Why do u think a check raise is bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

because you might as well tell everyone i have a 3, can you beat 3, if you cant beat a 3, fold, if you can, well, i have a 3, youre gonna get a lot more from me if you can beat a 3, because i have a 3
Old 11-01-2005, 01:33 PM

It's bad because he most likely has nothing and was just afraid to shoot out on the flop into so many players. And the board is draw heavy. And after showing weakness on the flop people will call the turn with any pair. So let them pay now while they are drawing. You want some money to into the pot. What happens when you check and it's checked around again. Now the pot is still tiny. Now a third club hits the river. You bet out and now you're raised. Great, you just hit trips on the flop, let someone hit a backdoor flush for free, and now you're going to put money into the pot ONLY when you're behind. Nice hand.